help.. taking the plunge from pc to apple.. what do i need?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by elit497, Apr 12, 2012.

1. elit497 macrumors newbie

I am taking the plunge into apple computers.. always been pc user.
    laptop screen broke (thanks to my son). so that is it.
    I have limited budget so I am going used.
    what configuration should I get?
    its daunting.
    I will use some graphics (photos, making flyers, etc.) mostly word processing (Microsoft word or wordperfect) and internet use (fb, email, watch some tv episodes)
    I read I could get by with 2 year old model..
    but what ram, memory, etc should I look for.
    Thanks so much for your help. :)

2. All Taken macrumors 6502a

The entry 13" Macbook Pro will suit your requirements perfectly. Welcome aboard.

Otherwise a 21.5" entry iMac will do too.

Second hand wise a 20" iMac from 2006 onward will easily do all that you require.

3. elit497 thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks.
    i was looking at 20 2008 but what processor, ram and memory?

is this good?

Processor Speed: 2.66 GHz Release Month: April
    Memory: 4 GB Product Family: iMac
    Hard Drive Capacity: 128 GB

do i need more memory? I am sure its way more than what i have now. I am trying not to do what I have done in the past with PCs getting the highest b/c it will be outdated in a month. Apple does much more than pcs.. thanks

4. RUGERMAN macrumors regular

I have a 2 yr old C2D IMAC that is still smoking fast for everything I do. Excel, Word, Internet, Parallels with XP etc. I run the 2 OSs at the same time with 4 to 5 programs open on the Mac side and 2 to 3 on the PC side. No problem. A reconditioned I3 or I5 would more than enough. 4Gig of ram

5. All Taken macrumors 6502a

Spec looks good, perfect for what you do. 128GB Hard drive???

6. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

Sounds like an SSD drive which the OP should NOT get if he's trying to save money.

OP: Look for something with a hard drive, it will actually be cheaper.

My suggestion: Get a refurbished Mac from Apple:

http://store.apple.com/us/browse/home/specialdeals/mac

Pick a laptop or iMac based on if portability or a larger screen is more important.

7. All Taken macrumors 6502a

The operator will save more money by getting a 20" machine than a recent Apple refurb, can see the logic but it's more expensive and more than he needs.

8. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

He didn't say what it cost. I'm assuming the SSD is gonna bump the price of that older machine up to the same as a newer machine with a larger hard drive.

If he tells us it's $600, then sure, but I'm suspecting it's not.

9. Razorhog macrumors 65816

Razorhog

I'd probably go for an Apple refurb. What budget are you looking at? Do you want a laptop or desktop?

10. elit497 thread starter macrumors newbie

11. All Taken macrumors 6502a

12. Razorhog macrumors 65816

Razorhog

SSD = Solid State Drive. No moving parts like a regular hard drive. Looks like the first iMac you are looking at only has the 128GB SSD. Depending on how you use the computer, it might not be enough storage space.

I've seen too many people pay too much for a used computer on eBay - do some research on how much the machine is actually worth before you bid. Good luck!

13. forty2j macrumors 68030

forty2j

With the OP's planned use, 128GB should be fine. I have a 330GB that is not even close to half full. What fills a drive is lots of Tier 1 video games, and purchasing movies.

If you read the description of the 2nd one, it also says it's been opened and had the hard drive replaced (320GB->500GB). You're getting into dicey territory there; you don't really want one that's been opened. That rules out both of these.

14. elit497 thread starter macrumors newbie

i was looking ffor a desktop
    around $400

15. classicaliberal macrumors regular

classicaliberal

One thing I would consider is that with computers... you get what you pay for. While it seems to me that based on what you do with your computer, you certainly don't need an ultra-high end machine, I would suggest you spend a bit more than $400 so that your machine lasts longer and can utilize new software when it becomes available.

It may seem like a waste of money, but spending $1000 for a Apple Refurb iMac is probably one of the best deals in computing if you ask me. A machine like that will last for 8+ years and will be considerably faster with more HD space and RAM than a 2 year old model for $400 which may or may not have been used/abused.

Check this one out:
    http://store.apple.com/us-k12/product/FC309LL/A

Thats my opinion anyway. If you can't afford more than spending $400... I say it'd be better to have a 2 year old mac than a brand new PC. ;)

16. elit497 thread starter macrumors newbie

classicalliberal i wish ihad $1k i would get a refurb from apple themselves but i cant
    the link you sent sends me to qualify school for education pricing.

17. Razorhog macrumors 65816

Razorhog

If you have a monitor keyboard/mouse that you could use, they have refurbished Mac Mini's for $699.

18. All Taken macrumors 6502a

or....

You could just get the 20" iMac like you planned, it's more than enough for your needs :rolleyes:

19. rutledjw macrumors member

"Little White Car" had a good post. I'd go with 4GB because Lion likes RAM and *IF* you use VMWare or Parallels for a Windows environment (find some Windows software you'd rather not do without) - you'll want the 4GB. HDD looks like an SSD to me. I'd go a standard HDD with more space - handy for apps, movies, and again VMs if you use Parallels or VMWare

20. elit497 thread starter macrumors newbie

what does this mean?
    HDD looks like an SSD to me. I'd go a standard HDD with more space - handy for apps, movies, and again VMs if you use Parallels or VMWare

sorry i am new to the apple terminology and acronoyms

21. classicaliberal macrumors regular

classicaliberal

Here the right link:
    http://store.apple.com/us/product/FC309LL/A

Like I said, if you can't swing the $1000, stick with the 2 year old mac over a new PC. You'll be happier. Good luck.

22. Virgule82 macrumors newbie

Honestly, I love my mac, but if I had your budget I would probably go for a PC. Windows 7 is a good system and you do get more bang for your back, a newish PC desktop will also last longer than an old mac. Just my two cents.

23. forty2j macrumors 68030

forty2j

These are just standard PC industry acronyms, not unique to Apple.

HDD (hard disk drive) and SSD (solid state drive) serve the same purpose: they hold your programs and the operating system. SSD is the newer, faster, more expensive technology.

As someone above mentioned, a Mac Mini might also serve your needs. Say, this one.