Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

FF_productions

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Apr 16, 2005
Mt. Prospect, Illinois
Hi everyone, I have a huge emergency

I ran Techtool Pro and got to this message (this is an example)
Picture 2.png

Then, of course I clicked REPLACE, and before I knew it POOF, the hard drive is gone.

So I downloaded Virtual Lab-Data Recovery Software, and it sees the hard drive and it sees many files on it, it's been recovering for a while and it appears to have a lot of work to do.

Attachments

• Picture 3.png
    Picture 3.png
    30.4 KB · Views: 119

eva01

macrumors 601
Feb 22, 2005
Gah! Plymouth
FF_productions said:
Will it end up recovering my files in the end??

These files are beyond important and as of now I will ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS back up my stuff.

I do not believe there is any software for Mac that is free for recovering data

and if this stuff is beyond important get ready to pay a hefty hefty hefty price tag to send the HD to a company to get it recovered.

Couple grand at least for that route

or you could risk purchasing software and trying it yourself

Or maybe the data isn't gone.

FF_productions

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Apr 16, 2005
Mt. Prospect, Illinois
eva01 said:
I do not believe there is any software for Mac that is free for recovering data

and if this stuff is beyond important get ready to pay a hefty hefty hefty price tag to send the HD to a company to get it recovered.

Couple grand at least for that route

The software I'm using now isn't free but it's a trial that expires at the end of the month.

I'm going to let this run until I get home from work.

eva01

macrumors 601
Feb 22, 2005
Gah! Plymouth
FF_productions said:
The software I'm using now isn't free but it's a trial that expires at the end of the month.

I'm going to let this run until I get home from work.

yes a trial may show you what it can recover and not let you recover it till you buy it

slooksterPSV

macrumors 68040
Apr 17, 2004
Nowheresville
From the info you've shown, you do still have files on that partition, it seems as though the partition area has become corrupt. How do you fix that? Well, get an external drive and try to use Linux and see if it mounts it (Ubuntu works well), you can then copy the contents of one drive to the other, if its Fat32? or another kind of partition Mac OS X Recognizes and Linux Recognizes. Once you've recovered your files, reinstall mac os x.... what am I saying, have you tried to repair the drive with Mac OS X? - booting off the CD/DVD?

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
From what you've shown us, I don't see how any software would have ruined your hard drive.

It would seem a lack of maintance, probably after a kernel panic, would have done it. You should be buying some software to recover it but there are several choices.

Good luck.

slooksterPSV

macrumors 68040
Apr 17, 2004
Nowheresville
Ahem, Steve, what did you say about backups at WWDC, ahem lol

I should backup my HDD when I get to college, I have too much I don't want to lose.

FF_productions

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Apr 16, 2005
Mt. Prospect, Illinois
Try losing thousands of songs from iTunes, wow this is terrible.

I lost Final Cut files, good thing the video wasn't important.

I lost some of my sisters doc's, but they were backed up a while back.

Good thing I didn't run Techtool Pro when I had captured my 9 hours of video! (Capturing video tommorow)

That would have been awful.

LEOPARD, I need you more than ever.

Rapmastac1

macrumors 65816
Aug 5, 2006
In the Depths of the SLC!
Ok, what exactly happened now, make sure u use ur install discs to fix the problem, use the disk utility that way, if you already havent', the only thing I can tell you is load up the drive as a secondary in another mac and see what files you can get off of it. I would load it up in my windows machine and use this program that lets you read the OS partition (Apple Indexed or whatever it is). And see if you can retrive anything. This has happened to me (Well something like it) and turned out all I needed to do was change it from a Compaq file system to a Fat32 system, and it worked ( I dunno what happened, but BootINTG saveed my life, I will never use a windows machine without that little app).

California

macrumors 68040
Aug 21, 2004
Dude, same thing happened to me -- i used a firewire hd to start up and disk utitlity repaired the disc after it was able to "unmount" I had to close all the files on the desktop first. YOu had a corrupted file -- mine got corrupted because I was copying too much of the same file over and over and over again going from machine to machine.

regan2

macrumors member
Feb 2, 2005
hyde park, ny
obviously not important enough for you to take the advice of your fellow MR members....

c'est la vie.

FF_productions said:
Try losing thousands of songs from iTunes, wow this is terrible.

I lost Final Cut files, good thing the video wasn't important.

I lost some of my sisters doc's, but they were backed up a while back.

Good thing I didn't run Techtool Pro when I had captured my 9 hours of video! (Capturing video tommorow)

That would have been awful.

LEOPARD, I need you more than ever.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.