Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jsm4182

macrumors 6502
Apr 3, 2006
Beacon, NY
That ip address appears to be one given by your router, almost every router 192.168.1.xxx. In that case your server should only be accessible from on your network. To get your server on the interent you are first going to have to get a static ip address from your isp.

darkcurse

macrumors 6502a
Nov 5, 2005
Sydney
I think you need to put your Mac Mini outside the DMZ also so that it is accessible directly from the internet. I tried using DynDNS but my friends still couldn't access my site.

SrWebDeveloper

macrumors 68000
Dec 7, 2007
Alexandria, VA, USA
http://tudorfamily.org domain name
My friends in the USA could access the site.

Your name server for that domain returns:

Name: tudorfamily.org
Address: 192.168.1.100

The 192 block is intentionally black holed by most peers on the internet, it's intended use is for internal LAN assignment within a private network and router manufacturers also use it for local interfaces.

You need to get a static IP assigned from public space (.Mac if they offer it, your domain registrar, many webhosts and of course your own ISP can assign you a small block, say 2 or 4 IP's from their public space) and setup your zone file for the domain accordingly, allow 48-72 hrs to propagate to the world fully and done. Use the 192 internal address for sandbox testing using it's own document root, use another document root for the public IP and simply copy files from one to the other to publish.

Or, FTP to web space hosted by godaddy.com, a million other places including your registrar who might offer webhosting, etc. etc.

-jim

Yvan256

macrumors 603
Jul 5, 2004
Canada
What I find strange is that 192.168.1.100 was accepted as a valid IP address when he registered his domain.

SrWebDeveloper

macrumors 68000
Dec 7, 2007
Alexandria, VA, USA
What I find strange is that 192.168.1.100 was accepted as a valid IP address when he registered his domain.

It's valid public space, it's registered with ARIN as a class B. But take a look at the actual ARIN database record for this class B and you'll see using it is not in your best interest if you want the world to get to your site:

NetRange: 192.168.0.0 - 192.168.255.255
CIDR: 192.168.0.0/16
NetName: IANA-CBLK1
NetHandle: NET-192-168-0-0-1
Parent: NET-192-0-0-0-0
NetType: IANA Special Use
NameServer: BLACKHOLE-1.IANA.ORG
NameServer: BLACKHOLE-2.IANA.ORG
Comment: This block is reserved for special purposes.
Comment: Please see RFC 1918 for additional information.

Using this block in your DNS setup technically meets the basic requirements from a registrar's perspective if customer insists on using it. It's not up to the registrar how you use the space -- there is no law against setting up a private network using a public domain name, as is the case here when you allocated that IP.

Moral of the story - don't assign reserved special purpose blocks for WAN purposes and expect it to work across the entire Internet.

-jim

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.