Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ErikMedic

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 4, 2010
I have a 3G iPhone & a3GS... I purposely did not update the 3G because it has tethering still fully functional. It seamlessly tethers to my Sony vaio via blutooth. The iPad does not even see my tethering 3G while discovering devices.. Any suggestions?

NJRonbo

macrumors 68040
Jan 10, 2007
I just installed MyWi (No Rock) on
my iPhone 3GS. Cost of app: $10

It works if I turn on my WiFi. It just
retethers that WiFi.

However, how can I get it to tether
the 3GS signal?

Does AT&T charge extra for MyFi
tethering?

NJRonbo

macrumors 68040
Jan 10, 2007
Okay. Got answers in another thread.

Seems like the WiFi setting on your iPhone
must remain ON.

However, the MyWi is not tethering your
WiFi signal. It is just tricking the iPhone into
thinking it is. What is really happening is
that your 3G signal is being tethered.

This is unbelievable.

My only fear is that a new iPhone is coming.
Who know if it will be able to be jailbroken
anytime soon after release and if it can
be tethered in the same manner with this
software.

avaloncourt

macrumors 65816
Oct 18, 2007
Okay. Got answers in another thread.

Seems like the WiFi setting on your iPhone
must remain ON.

However, the MyWi is not tethering your
WiFi signal. It is just tricking the iPhone into
thinking it is. What is really happening is
that your 3G signal is being tethered.

This is unbelievable.

I'm not sure I understand your confusion. Of course WiFi has to be on in the iPhone. That's how the iPad connects to the phone. Did you not understand that you're always sharing the 3G data? That's the purpose of MyWi, NetShare, etc. If you were sharing wifi from an access point why wouldn't you just connect the iPad to the same access point. :confused:

There is no way to connect the iPhone and the iPad via Bluetooth. There are no drivers for data transfer in the iPad.

NJRonbo

macrumors 68040
Jan 10, 2007
Avalon,

Perhaps the problem is in the way
I have been describing the process.

My apologies.

I realize the iPad connects to the
iPhone via WiFi. If I said bluetooth
that was confusion.

I didn't know why WiFi had to be
enabled on the iPhone (not the iPad)
for MyWi to work.

avaloncourt

macrumors 65816
Oct 18, 2007
Your original post said you were using bluetooth for your Vaio and you coudn't see tethering on the iPad. I assumed you were trying to find the bluetooth data on the iPad since you said the iPad couldn't find tethering when it was in discovery mode.

Yes, wifi must be enabled on the phone because that's how the 3G data gets to the iPad. If the iPad can't connect via bluetooth and you had the wifi turned off on the phone how would the 3G data from the phone get to the iPad? It needs some form of data connection and you can't cable tether.

NJRonbo

macrumors 68040
Jan 10, 2007
You are confusing me with someone else.

I don't have a Viao. Don't use bluetooth.

However, your advise is just as good in my case.

I just didn't know how the iPhone transmitted the
3G signal during tethering. Thought it might be
bluetooth but your answer tells me it is via WiFi
so that is why WiFi must be enabled.

Bottom line is that MyWi will transmit a 3G
signal from your iPhone to the iPad via WiFi
without a WiFi signal being needed.

mpuck972

macrumors 6502
Aug 31, 2007
It seems as if the iPad cannot connect to the iPhone via Bluetooth. When I try on each device to find the other on Bluetooth, neither device shows the other. It's almost as if Apple intentionally made it that way.

So to connect the iPad to your iPhone, you're going to have to buy and install the mifi app on the cydia side so that you can then broadcast a wifi network.

I suspect a future iPad jailbreak will fix the Bluetooth thing.

On the bright side Apple did add 'iPad' to the dictionary on it. On the iPhone it still auto corrects to 'upas' when you type iPad.

avaloncourt

macrumors 65816
Oct 18, 2007
Sorry about that. You had so many posts in this thread I thought you were the original poster. My apologies.

Keep in mind that since you'll have high utilization of both wifi and 3G on the phone you will definitely notice more rapid depletion of the battery. Since you've jailbroken your phone you may want to use SBSettings to turn on % of battery in a numerical display so that you can get an accurate representation of how much battery you have left.

NJRonbo

macrumors 68040
Jan 10, 2007
Avalon,

Excellent advise. You have been great.

Bought one of those Richard Solo iPhone
charger battery "thingies" so I am not
worried about battery use. I can just hook
the external battery to the iPhone, put it to
the side, and enjoy 3G tethering.

This is amazing. Had no idea I could do
this. I was about to order and wait for the
3G iPad but this app saved me $30 a month
in extra charges from AT&T.

Just hope this free ride lasts a long time.

avaloncourt

macrumors 65816
Oct 18, 2007
It seems as if the iPad cannot connect to the iPhone via Bluetooth. When I try on each device to find the other on Bluetooth, neither device shows the other. It's almost as if Apple intentionally made it that way.

This is correct. As I said in my previous post, there is no bluetooth data profile in the iPad for you to complete a connection. If you look at Apple's information page it informs you that on the iPad:

Supports Bluetooth peer-to-peer connectivity for applications. See this article for additional information. Internet tethering is not supported.

avaloncourt

macrumors 65816
Oct 18, 2007
Avalon,

Excellent advise. You have been great.

Bought one of those Richard Solo iPhone
charger battery "thingies" so I am not
worried about battery use. I can just hook
the external battery to the iPhone, put it to
the side, and enjoy 3G tethering.

This is amazing. Had no idea I could do
this. I was about to order and wait for the
3G iPad but this app saved me $30 a month
in extra charges from AT&T.

Just hope this free ride lasts a long time.

I'm more than happy to help. It's good that you have the external battery. That will keep your battery at full capacity for when you decide to stop tethering and return to phone use.

I decided a week ago to jailbreak my iPhone (with 3.1.3) and had a terrible time (hours of frustration) with Sn0wbreeze. I then found Blackra1n and it was done within a few minutes. I haven't done a jailbreak since the original Touch.

I did it for the same reason as you. I would be only an occasional 3G user on the iPad but it's nice to have it available. I wanted GPS capability so I was stuck getting the 3G version. This combination makes things very convenient.

hchavarria

macrumors 6502
Oct 8, 2008
I also am tethering through my iPhone to my iPad. I will mostly use it at home so I got the wifi only version and the very few times I will use it outside of my home then I will tether. I figured if at some point I can no longer tether then I will subscribe to a MiFi service instead of paying for 3G on my iPad.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.