Help! The Glossy Coating on my MB's Screen is Coming Off!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by rhyndu, Dec 20, 2007.

1. rhyndu macrumors regular

MESSAGE TO "SEARCH THE FORUM FIRST" PEOPLE: I already have :)

--

Let me preface this post by saying I love my MacBook. My first MacBook was Rev. 2 but plauged by 3 harddrives crashing. I then got a Rev. 3 model from Apple in June and it has served me very well. This has been my only problem, so far.

I have used several methods of cleaning the screen. At first I just used a paper towel and purified water. I stopped using this sometime about a month ago when I found a spot in the middle of the screen that had had the sort-of shiny coating stripped from it: it was now extremely shiny. It wasn't noticable when the screen was on (unless I used my MB with low display brightness outside, which wasn't often.)

Scared that my cleaning was the cause, I switched to iKlear Apple Polish. But, 2 weeks after purchasing that, I noticed a problem that was not as extreme of the same case in the top left corner - where a bit of finger-keyboard derived grease had been eariler. I though about calling Apple but decided against it - it might be my fault, after all.

And now, today after my usual dayly cleaning, I discovered a small circle of worn-off coating right above the J key (when closed.) This was the location of some dust.

My question is: am I just pressing to hard to get dirt off? Or is there a problem with the thickness/strength of the glossy coating on my screen? Anyone experience similar troubles? and will Apple repair it without charging me $700 (for free is what I want :))

Thanks!

2. noodle654 macrumors 68020

noodle654

I would call Apple on it. Say that you used ONLY iKlear and that happened.

3. rhyndu thread starter macrumors regular

But... but... I'm not sure I want the fact that I "press to hard on screens" or something to be on my record! They already don't like me! (I cost them about $500 in profit in July!)

Couldn't :apple: say its just "custumer inflicted damage" or something?

4. thagomizer macrumors 6502

Don't use a paper towel. Any kind of tissue paper is too abrasive. Use a soft lens cleaning cloth, or one of the products made especially for LCD screens.

I use the cloth that came with my eyeglasses, with a tiny bit of distilled water soaked into it.

5. Big-TDI-Guy macrumors 68030

Big-TDI-Guy

Daily cleaning sounds a bit extreme. Dust sitting on your screen will do a lot less damage than constantly cleaning it. Which, every time you clean it, you're doing. The smallest layer of dust / grease, ect, acts like polishing compound, and each pass you're rubbing off some of the AR coating.

See how Apple can help you - and in the future, try cleaning it once a week, or less. Barring obvious problems, such as sticky things, or harmful things (straight IPA or Acetone).

There is a chance you got a bad coating - but AR coatings in general are pretty weak - especially when bonded to plastics.

If it were NOT shiny - but Matte under that AR coating - I'd say remove the rest of the AR and enjoy a nicer screen. ;)

For the future - use softer tissue - don't re-use the same tissue twice. Try blowing off the heavy FOD using compressed air (canned air) - THEN clean it - but do a single pass wipe, flip to the "clean side" of the tissue, and do again. Don't try to remove grease or anything heavier until you have the top-layer grit off, first.

Soft wipes - but NOT most "tissues" as these have lotions and what not in them for human noses - not so great for optics though. Silicon free wipes will suit you better. (no Kimwipes for this)

Microfiber is overboard IMO - and they are great at trapping and retaining heavy particles - the same ones that polish your display on the 2nd pass.

Disposable dry lens tissues (like the ones sold at lens crafters for example) and an LCD safe cleaner. A lot cheaper than what I use, but just about as effective. (I use class 100 cleanroom ultra-pure wipes - but that's only b/c I have access to them) :D

6. rhyndu thread starter macrumors regular

Like I said, I now use iKlear and its microfiber stuff...

Is iKlear not to be used everyday?

And also, I'd prefer if "customer is not careful in cleaning of computer" to go on my record! Should I tell Apple?

Thanks for the help, guys!

7. Big-TDI-Guy macrumors 68030

Big-TDI-Guy

Unless your LCD is getting DISGUSTING every day - then there is no need to clean it. The more you do - the faster your coating will ablate - period. I don't care how careful you are, or "gentle" your cleaner is. It's just an ugly fact of life.

And I had said earlier - Microfiber is NOT the best thing. I work with REALLY expensive optics for a living - trust me - it's not used in clean-rooms for very good reasons. It's amazing ability to trap dust and FOD - and hold it - is what makes it so great for windows and counter tops - and what makes it so bad for plastic and LCDs.

8. EvryDayImShufln macrumors 65816

EvryDayImShufln

How come you clean it so often?

I clean my screen maybe once every 2 weeks. WHen its on you cant see most of the dirt on it anyway.

9. Dybbuk macrumors 6502a

I think some people here would be happy to know there's a way to do this. ;)

EDIT: Never mind, I misunderstood. :x

10. eman macrumors 6502a

You haven't cost Apple $500. Apple's actual cost is maybe 10% of the $500 repair bill. Repair charges from Apple are high, this helps to sell lots of Applecare protection plans and if you have to pay out of pocket, Apple makes a killing.

Apple uses many proprietary items in the macbook and if you need a part, you have to buy new from Apple or used on the market.

11. iJawn108 macrumors 65816

iJawn108

i use a microfiber cloth and my own solution of 10% alcohol in distilled water. Never any issues with my screen.

12. rhyndu thread starter macrumors regular

Okay! Thanks for the feedback, everyone.

I'll clean my screen less - I just can't stand to see dust on my MB! If it keeps on happening, I'll probably talk to Apple sometime in January!
    :apple:

13. rhyndu thread starter macrumors regular

Too bad it isnt! :) The same thought occurred to me.

Yah... you would think though that following the iKlear (Apple reccomended cleaning stuff) instuctions would be fine for it. And there is nothing that says I shouldn't clean it more than once a week. I just might be able to have Apple replace it! Although its sad: the 4th problem with a MacBook in a little less than one year!

14. thies macrumors regular

what the hell are you doing to that thing that it requires daily cleaning?

15. rhyndu thread starter macrumors regular

Nothing. I'm just obsesive.

16. robby818 macrumors 6502a

Never use paper towels, paper napkins, paper anything. It's like fine grit sandpaper and causes microscratches on plastic surfaces.

I only clean my screen with a microfiber cloth & iklear ~ 2-3 months. I dust with a feather duster more frequently. Dusting is pretty much all you really need to do if you don't touch the screen.

Also, use a keyboard screen protector like the one from shaggymac. Your screen can also be damaged by keyboard rub.

17. heatmiser macrumors 68020

Darn it. I also thought you'd found a way to mattify your Macbook.

18. Big-TDI-Guy macrumors 68030

Big-TDI-Guy

19. marclapierre13 macrumors 6502a

marclapierre13

20. JesterJJZ macrumors 68020

JesterJJZ

I clean mine like every 2 months. :D

edit...that is my cinema display...don't have a Macbook. :(

21. rhyndu thread starter macrumors regular

I wish:p