HELP- "the sim card inserted in this iphone does not appear to be supported"

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by vinum0908, Aug 8, 2011.

1. vinum0908 macrumors newbie

Hello all-- I'm in HELL.

So I purchased an iPhone off eBay, and everything seemed fine when I took it out of the box after it arrived. When I inserted my MicroSim (the same one I had previously been using with a Black iPhone 4, which broke, prompting me to purchase the white one), it wouldn't register. The device would only let me make emergency calls or plug into iTunes.

I plugged it into iTunes, and got the error message: "The sim card inserted in this iphone does not appear to be supported". After some googling, I found that this message often appears when a phone has been unlocked/jailbroken and not restored properly.

I tried restoring it through iTunes, but even after doing the whole 'Restore + Update' process, it would be back to the same screen. The sim card inserted in this iphone does not appear to be supported.

I have no idea what to do! Should I take it to the Apple Store? Will they even service it since this problem appears to be jailbreak-related?

I'm running iTunes 10.2.2 for my Mac, but have no idea what OS was on the iPhone. I'm pretty much screwed until I can fix this! Any help would be appreciated!

2. dewisamson macrumors newbie

Hi vinum,

I have the same problem exactly like you, bought an iphone 4 sim free from apple store UK via internet, the exactly same thing happen to the phone:mad:, the idea is so i can use it worldwide as i am travelling a lot.

i am in Japan at the moment thinking that i can just buy a microsim there and put it in iphone and work like magic, wrong!!! so i don't know whether because the network in Japan that not allowed sim free iphone that bought outside their country or something wrong with the phone, and yes HELP will be much appreciated please as I bought that phone 3 months ago and I don't know whether i can return it or not...thanks... (sorry I am unable to help you though, as i am as clueless as you are hopefully somebody can help you and also me :confused:)