HELP!!! The Usual Water Damage Story!

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by vinay427, Oct 12, 2009.

1. vinay427 macrumors 6502a

vinay427

Hey,

My iPhone just fell in a sink with water running while it was on. :mad: I instantly panicked and obviously took the phone out and turned it off. For some time it wouldn't turn off, it would keep turning it on. When I tried to turn it off I noticed that the up volume button also puts the device to sleep now. The speakers (phone and music) and microphone all don't work at all. I took it out of it's rubber case (Switcheasy Colors) that I have to thank for saving it from further damage. However, to my knowledge the water sensors in the headphone jack and dock connector are not activated because the SW Colors has rubber protectors for that. The headphone jack is slightly pink on the outside but not pink at all on the white inner section (you may have to look at your phone to see what I'm talking about). So does Apple have any other way of checking for water damage and is my warranty voided? Is there anything else I should do? I have it off and on top of a heating vent right now.

Thanks,
    vinay427

2. nateo200 macrumors 68030

nateo200

Don't think twice as I say this get a big thing of dry rice and put it in there ASAP. Do not put it under a hair dryer under any circumstances. Now move! You have a $599 handset to save!!!

3. vinay427 thread starter macrumors 6502a

vinay427

Ok, I did it. Thanks a lot!

Can someone answer this?

4. specify macrumors regular

the rice method is pretty popular.

I've only ever dropped a normal phone into the water, the buttons didn't work right at all afterwards so I opened it to dry and then I took some rubbing alcohol to clean out the rust on the connectors inside and it works normally now.

Don't know how easy it is with the iphone though.

5. The Californian macrumors 68040

The Californian

If there is ANY pink on the sensor your warranty is voided. People have had warranties voided for slightly pink edges due to living in a humid environment.

6. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

Your warranty is voided. You can pay $199 to get a replacement, if your iPhone doesn't start working properly after the rice trick.

7. mgamber macrumors 6502a

mgamber

Back to the rice, don't remove it from the rice for a few days. At least three. A day or two isn't going to cut it. Last time I had to save a waterlogged phone it took almost a week until everything was working correctly again. Last I heard, it still works just fine.

8. Sparky9292 macrumors 6502a

Yeah, and that is BS. I always start out Mr. Nice at first. Then I become angry ******* in the store screaming and stomping. I'd say it works about 50% of the time, or I get a threat of getting the police called.

It's all an act and it's fun when I'm successful.

Some store managers will just comply and give you a new phone because they don't want an angry screaming customer in the store.

So, xbuddycorex, stop being a ***** and get a backbone. You have to fight for yourself...

9. aristobrat macrumors G4

Yeah, obviously "your mileage may vary" with the whole making a scene thing. At the store I worked at, mall security was called the instant a customer started to stomp/scream. We never screamed at the customers (not as easy as it sounds), so there was zero tolerance shown when a customer screamed at an employee.

vinay427, the Geniuses will shine a bright light down the headphone jack. Have you checked to see how it looks when viewed "brightly"?

10. vinay427 thread starter macrumors 6502a

vinay427

Yep, 1/3 of it is pink. :mad::mad::mad:

There is no way I can afford another one. I guess I'll have to get some simple QWERTY phone and live with that until next November. Wait, NOOOOOO!!!!!! How am I possibly supposed to do that?

I was going to move to Android next November, but how am I supposed to wait until then?

Anyway, about the phone. It randomly turns on with the :apple: logo, then off, 2 sec later on with the logo, off again, and after about 5 cycles of that it gives up. Anyone?

11. aristobrat macrumors G4

Put it in the rice and try to forget about it for a few days. There's at least a small chance that it may work better later.

12. JustGretchen macrumors 6502

13. vinay427 thread starter macrumors 6502a

vinay427

Yep. I put it in the rice last night. Will it be ok if I take it out tomorrow morning because that's when I scheduled my Genius appointment.

Thanks,
    vinay427

14. vinhmen macrumors newbie

My phone did the same thing after I dropped it in water. Even after two weeks it will still only cycle thru the bootup prompt. I was just about to give up on it until I stumbled across DFU Boot mode. I had to restore my phone but it works again. Google it and give it a try.

15. rogue7 macrumors member

the rice will work! mine went threw a car wash and has worked ever sense

16. vinay427 thread starter macrumors 6502a

vinay427

Thanks guys! I'll wait and see if the rice helps. I just hope my phone doesn't turn on tomorrow in the Genius Bar because it's still JB. :mad: I'll try the DFU Boot thing now. If that works, you're my hero! :D

17. SacMac macrumors newbie

So your stance is to just throw a fit because you don't want to take responsibility for your actions. If you ruin your phone man up to it. It's not Apple's responsibility to give you a new phone because you were careless.

If I saw you in a store acting that way I would just shake my head and think what a douche-bag.

18. vinay427 thread starter macrumors 6502a

vinay427

Wow! iTunes saw it in recovery mode and is now downloading the 3.1.2 update. If nothing else, at least this will get rid of my jailbreak.

19. John T macrumors 68020

John T

Absolutely! Just buck the apparent current trend and be honest and own up to your carelessness.

20. vinay427 thread starter macrumors 6502a

vinay427

YES! My iPhone is now completely working. Except WiFi and Bluetooth, which haven't been working for the last several months. I have no idea why. It just doesn't see any networks.