help! there is a crack in my case!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by giantdave, Jan 14, 2009.

1. giantdave macrumors member

so i have slowly developed a significant crack in the case of the screen on my mac book pro. right now it isnt causing any significant damage..but my screen leans back a tad farther since that crack is there. in the photos below one it shows that when i just put the screen up and let it sit normally it opens the crack up, but when i support the screen it closes up flush. what should i do? i was thinking about covering the screen up with paper and super gluing it shut, but i dont know for sure. i just dont want to screw anything up and have an extremely expensive repair as my macs usually have! :frown:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

Ouch, I take it that you don't have AppleCare and the warranty has expired? You might check with the Apple Store and see if there's a recall or a replacement part on that specific damage...:eek::(

3. evanxlee macrumors newbie

get a popsicle stick or a narrow tongue depressor. place it vertically over the crack. use scotch or duct take to anchor it down, ensuring not to tape your screen.

endthread.

4. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Neither AppleCare nor the Warranty would cover physical damage.

5. giantdave thread starter macrumors member

issues with the logic board have taught me that i should ALWAYS buy applecare. so i have nothing on it. just my wallet, (which is small)

6. giantdave thread starter macrumors member

im afraid i wont be able to close it that way, plus its really close to the hinge, and would get in the way there too.

7. ryannazaretian macrumors 6502a

ryannazaretian

I humbly disagree. My Early 2008 MBP kept on developing a black line going around the perimeter of the notebook because the screen was not closing properly. Apple replaced the top case a few times, then replaced the laptop with the new Unibody version. Of course, this is not the only reason. Other reasons include a hard drive failure, a fan failure, and 3 trackpad failures... All since June 2008 to November 2008.

This doesn't look like physical abuse at all. I'm willing to bet, if it's in warranty, that Apple will make things right.

8. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

If the screen wasn't closing properly, that's a defect. That's different from wear and tear by the user.

9. ryannazaretian macrumors 6502a

ryannazaretian

My best advice is to go into an Apple Store and tell them your story. They are likely to fix it... if it's under warranty.

If you decide to ship it in, there's no telling what they'll say.

...The user dropped it...
    ...The user stepped on it...
    etc...

The stores is more caring in my opinion.

Good Luck!

10. evanxlee macrumors newbie

11. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

12. zevot macrumors member