Help! Think I've gone and done it...

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by woodspring, Dec 15, 2011.

1. woodspring macrumors newbie

Hi All!

Just found this site while researching and so happy about it. Looks like a great resource and place to chat all things Mac.

Have a question that may be a "Duh" answer, but I'm a novice at jailbreaking/unlocking.

A year ago, I bought a iphone 3gs from a friend that had been using it at AT&T. I jailbroke and unlocked it using redsn0w and used it happily for a year while on TMobile until my contract ran out. Now that it's over, I went legit, purchased the iphone 4s and signed up with Verizon.

I decided to give my daughter the old phone to use as an itouch for Christmas this year. Well, then I had to go and do something dumb...
    I plugged it in, reformatted and erased all data through itunes (i'm assuming it updated it to ios 5.0.1) And now it seems it cant be unlocked.

Any advice?

I thought i found the newest version of redsn0w online, but I could be wrong. Someone told me to buy a att gophone sim, look up an ?imei? number and activate it prepaid through AT&T just to get it working for her.
    Well, can't find one of the numbers online and wouldnt know that right one if I did.

Is this phone toast?

Thanks in Advance!

2. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

You can activate it with any att sim, even old invactive sim cards.
    Or use a friends sim for a minute to activate it and then use it as an ipod.
    If you JB in order to hactivate you will be stuck with a tethered JB.

3. woodspring thread starter macrumors newbie

4. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Yes, or deactivated AT&T sim, prepaid AT&T sim anything like that will do the trick.

5. woodspring thread starter macrumors newbie

ok applejuiced- i put in the att sim and plugged it into itunes:

here is what is happening:

-"waiting for activation" message on iphone (this may take some time)
    -"set up your iphone" screen on itunes -
    do i select:
    1. set up as new phone
    2. restore from the back up of "____ family's iphone" last updated 10/26/11

6. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Its up to you. Do you want to set it up as new or restore from a backup? Either one will do.

7. woodspring thread starter macrumors newbie

I did a restore and it worked great. Hoping it had my previous jailbroken apps on there like Cydia, but it did not. Will take what I can get though...

Happy that it is working for her and she will be happy this Christmas! Thanks for the help. I was thinking it would be so much more complicated than the Sim card...

8. Crystal-RX macrumors 68030

Crystal-RX

You have 2 options to jailbreak this phone if you want Cydia on it.

1. You can jailbreak it with redsn0w, then install semi tether onto the phone. You will have a semi tether jailbroken phone.
    2. Since you have a 3GS, you can downgrade it to 4.1 and then jailbreak it. It will be untethered jailbreak for that firmware.