Help: Think my Hard Drive has gone

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by dx052, May 23, 2011.

1. dx052 macrumors member

I have a 15" Mac Book Pro. Its about 3 years old so no warranty. There is power and I can hear the DVD drive spinning but the screen remains black and does not start up, even when I used the Mac Install disc nothing happens. I can't really think what else could be the problem! I have never had to fix the laptop so this is all new to me, if I am right is it a job I can do myself?

Thanks

2. sebgreen macrumors regular

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

If you put the disc in and hold down the c key whilst turning it on does the OS x install load up? It may take some time.

If the screen remains black is it not your hard drive, it is something worse. Could be your screen or graphics board.

3. dx052 thread starter macrumors member

I will try what you said when I get back to my Laptop. I have been having screen problems recently funny enough, when it would go a funny colour for no reason, this could be related! If it is what you say is that a job for a repairer?

Thanks again

4. dusk007 macrumors 68040

dusk007

If it is the screen or the GPU which means logic board only Apple can fix it. They need to replace the defective parts.
    If it was only the harddrive you could switch it yourself when out of warranty or in a hurry. Does the machine make no funny noises like beeps and stuff. Usually it does that when something is wrong. If you hear nothing it is probably the screen.

5. dx052 thread starter macrumors member

There are no funny noises or bleeps at all, the reason I thought it was H/D in the first instance was that laptop was taking longer & longer to boot up when I switched it on recently. Just a thought! If I connected the laptop to a external monitor would that tell me if it was the screen or not?

6. gullySn0wCat macrumors 6502

Try your volume keys while it's switched on. If it makes the volume change "pop" then it's your screen.

7. dx052 thread starter macrumors member

Sorry, I don't understand!

I don't have no screen at all! I are saying turn the volume keys up whilst the machine is powered up?

Thanks

8. dx052 thread starter macrumors member

Hi, Nothing happens when I have the OS X Install disc in whilst I press the C key.

Thanks

9. gullySn0wCat macrumors 6502

Yes. If it makes the "pop" noise that indicates the volume changing, you know your computer is working but has no display;)

10. dx052 thread starter macrumors member

Okay! if it is something else could it be the H/D (I am in local library so I can't test as we speak)

Thanks