Help this guy with an OLED understand his ATV4k

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by afjarboe, Sep 24, 2017.

1. afjarboe macrumors newbie

Im not a videophile, audiophile, or anything of the sort. But I am lucky enough to have an LG OLED and the ATV4k. Poking around here makes me think it’s important to note that my tv is last year’s; a 2016 B6 model. Should I be changing the ATV4k video output depending on what I’m watching? Should I switch over to Dolby vision output if I plan to rent something like the LEGO Batman movie on iTunes, which is in Dolby vision? What about something that is labeled 4K, but not Dolby vision?

Please, help this dumb guy get the most out of his setup.

2. Oledlover macrumors newbie

I’ve spoken to some LG technicians, who’ve spent the day with the new Apple TV. They have said - until the Apple TV is updated to pass through native resolution and frame rates, it is better to switch to the frame rate, manually. So if you’re watching a movie on Netflix or iTunes in HDR, set your AT to HDR @ 24 Hz. If the content is Dolby Vision, set it to Dolby Vision @ 24 Hz. If it’s a TV show (on Netflix or another app) you’d change to 60Hz or 50hz if you’re in UK, Au.

3. Nozuka macrumors 68020

i have the same tv. does your apple tv offer a dolby vision output higher than 30hz? somehow my apple tv only shows 30hz. but HDR goes up to 60hz.

not sure if that is normal or if it's my HDMI cable or something.

4. lique831 macrumors regular

I think our B6 TVs only go as high as 30hz in Dolby Vision.

5. afjarboe thread starter macrumors newbie

The highest 4K Dolby vision listed for me is 30Hz.

6. bobbba macrumors regular

For the 2016 LG models like the B6 and E6 the highest Dolby vision rate is 30Hz, for the 2017 models it's 60Hz

7. cynics macrumors G4

I would leave it set to the best your TV can support unless you visually see issues. If you see problems google search (or report back here) to see if there is a way to correct it via your TV settings. If not then you may need to adjust settings of your ATV.

For example, some people have problems with 24p judder. This is due to the mismatch of your contents frames and TVs refresh rates. However many modern TVs can greatly minimize this or even eliminate it via settings (even from a 60fps source).

8. cyb3rdud3 macrumors 65816

This is by far the most sensible answer in order to get best out of your OLED TV. And you know what, yes sure yours (and mine) doesn't do Dolby Vision at 60Hz but guess what there isn't a single Dolby Vision at 60Hz movie in existence. People try and put the 'blame' elsewhere which isn't relevant despite it being a valid fact.

There is currently one movie released that was shot in 120fps and distributed in 60fps on UHD which is Billy Lynn and that plays back beautifully on my LG C6 using my Oppo 203. It chooses automatically based on the meta data of the source the correct resolution, frame rate and HDR setting.

Oledlover is spot on in the advice that LG relayed, and many others have said on this forum.

Whilst what the others have mentioned in this thread could be handy for convenience, it also means that you will never get the best out of the Apple TV nor your OLED panel as forcing everything to HDR (even when it isn't) and forcing everything to 60Hz (even when it isn't) simply is not the best experience; sure more convenient but definitely not how it is intended to be watched by those artists who created it.