Help this NewBie with Sounds

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by Stealthipad, Oct 28, 2010.

1. Stealthipad macrumors 68040

Stealthipad

I go to Settings and Sounds and see where you can turn on and off the sounds for mail, calendar, mail and voice mail but do not see where I can assign what sounds and hopefully their volume level. My new iPhone 4's sounds are not loud enough where I can hear them and the vibration is short so I can not feel it at times.:(

I am missing something and on my 1st full day with this phone and will not have a lot more time till this weekend to search. Just need help to get thru the day so be easy on me!:)

2. Mliii macrumors 65816

Mliii

In that same area, you should have a volume slider as well as a place to set the ringtone and text message tones...
    Sounds like they may not be there for you, in which case, power your phone off and restart it and see whether they re-appear.

3. Stealthipad thread starter macrumors 68040

Stealthipad

I got the volume slider which when activated adjust my ring tone volume. Then the next two line allow me to pick my phone ring tone and new text message tone but after that it is all on and off for everything else. no way to pick what tone or adjust the volume.:confused:

4. Mliii macrumors 65816

Mliii

What else are you trying to adjust?

5. Stealthipad thread starter macrumors 68040

Stealthipad

I want to adjust WHICH sounds for mail, calendar, mail and voice mail. ALso would like to adjust the volume. I can not hear the default new email sound and want it louder!

I come from Blackberry and this was all done in "profiles". You could pick what tone you used for each of these and the volume and nunber of times it played when you had, for instance a new mail or calendar alert. From what I am seeing I can only turn it on or off.:confused:

6. mstrze macrumors 68000

On my iPhone, the alerts sounds are all dependant on ringer volume. So, using the slider or the side buttons, I can make all of the sounds (ringtone, text alert and e-mail notification) louder or quieter. I do not believe you have individualized adjustment of each alert sound, just the overall loudness of it.

7. BigHungry04 macrumors 6502

The iPhone 4 does not have custom tones for e-mail, text messages or voicemail. To turn it louder you need to adjust the volume under where it says vibrate under the Ring section. Set it to the maximum and that will be as loud as it goes.
    I too was disappointed when I switched from the Blackberry 8800 to the iPhone 3G and was unable to have custom e-mail and text message tones. Maybe they will add that functionality eventually.

8. Stealthipad thread starter macrumors 68040

Stealthipad

WOW! I am sure going to miss that! That is lame. Maybe there is an APP?

9. mstrze macrumors 68000

You can choose between 6 different text message alert tones, but point taken.

10. BigHungry04 macrumors 6502

You can jailbreak it to allow the phone to have custom text message tones, but I don't jailbreak and can't offer any experience on that.