Help! Thoroughly confused myself.

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by jlrathke, Jan 2, 2012.

1. jlrathke macrumors member

jlrathke

I've read so much, my head is spinning, but I have an iPhone 3G, running 4.2.1 and 05.15.04. I want to jailbreak it (only using it as a touch for now), and would like to have it unlocked for later trips out of the country. I know there is not an unlock for this baseband, but hopefully someone is working it as I don't really want to upgrade to the iPad baseband.

So, to jailbreak it for now, do I just use redsnow, or Pwnage? I have both a windows 7 machine and a macbook pro.

Also, I have an iPhone 4 running 5.0.1 and 04.11.08. What precautions can I take on this to not inadvertently upgrade something I will regret in future?

Thanks,

Jerrry

2. TriJetHero macrumors 601

TriJetHero

For the 4.2.1 JB you cab use greenpois0n.com and download the mac or win version to your liking.

With 5.01 on the IP4 you can run the latest redsn0w to make a custom IPSW firware version which will not update your BB and restore in pwned-DFU mode via itunes.

Search on iclarified for the tutorials.

3. jlrathke thread starter macrumors member

jlrathke

Thanks for the help, TriJetHero.....

I've downloaded Redsn0w, but Greenpois0n looks like it might be the better choice.

Jerry

4. jlrathke thread starter macrumors member

jlrathke

Tried Greenpois0n several times, but it threw my phone into recovery mode and asked me if I wanted to try again.

Jerry

5. gngan macrumors 68000

gngan

Nothing wrong with Redsn0w. Just check the dev team's website or go to iclarified for tutorial.

6. jlrathke thread starter macrumors member

jlrathke

I'm trying Redsn0w next since Greenpois0n didn't seem to work for me.

Jerry

7. jlrathke thread starter macrumors member

jlrathke

Obviously, I'm not smart enough to follow simple instructions. I've tried jailbreaking with Greenpois0n 6.1 and with Redsn0w 0.9.10b3 with the same result from both....phone stuck in recovery mode and unsuccessful results from both programs.

I jailbroke the 3G a few years ago when I was using it as my phone without any problems. I don't know what I'm doing wrong now. It is an iPhone 3g with the 4.2.1 firmware and 05.15.04 base band and 6.2 bootloader :(

What am I not doing right?

Thanks,

Jerry

8. eastercat macrumors 68040

eastercat

Go to iclarified and find tutorials for your phone. Randomly picking jb software is not the recipe for success. FYI: if you don't mind losing your gps and ability to update through itunes, use the ipad bb for an unlock.

9. jlrathke thread starter macrumors member

jlrathke

Thanks for the help, Eastercat. I don't want to do the ipad unlock just yet and I haven't been randomly picking jailbreaks. I've been to iClarified and chose the most appropriate, to my knowledge, jailbreak based on the information I read which is Redsn0w. The Greenpois0n was based on a recommendation from a member above.

Now, if there is something I'm missing, I'm all ears. The tutorials online aren't always the most up to date, especially for a device that is old. I only want to jailbreak this device to be able to airplay music in my truck and through my AppleTv at home.

I'm still open to suggestions,

Jerry

10. Crystal-RX macrumors 68030

Crystal-RX

which version of redsn0w did you try? try 0.9.6rc18 and see if it works.

11. jlrathke thread starter macrumors member

jlrathke

Crystal,

Thanks for the information. I'll see if I can find that tonight and give it a try.

Jerry

12. jlrathke thread starter macrumors member

jlrathke

Thank you for this, Cristal! It worked like a champ!

Jerry

13. Crystal-RX macrumors 68030

Crystal-RX

glad it works out for you...enjoy your phone.