help. thousands of pics appeared!

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by doktordoris, Dec 20, 2011.

1. doktordoris macrumors 6502a

doktordoris

Hullo,

I have the macs in my sig and so far (Ive had them both for 2 weeks) I haven't had a single problem. Until today. I plugged my music ipod nano into my iMac and was startled to find that it was synching 8000 pictures! I looked at the pics in iphoto and much to my surprise i found every single web page, or part thereof that I have looked at in the past year via my ipad or ipods. There were adverts from web pages, even a few dozen pictures that were just mouse pointers. The only pix my imac should have are a hundred or so that i have taken with my digital camera or copied into my photos folder from websites.

Does anyone have any idea why nearly 8000 unwanted pictures should have appeared in iphoto?

2. Plymouthbreezer macrumors 601

Plymouthbreezer

Sounds like your system cache got imported into iPhoto....

If you delete them, do they come back?

3. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

How often do you clear your browser's cache? I agree that it sounds like your browser cache was imported to iPhoto. Try clearing the cache and deleting those from iPhoto. Then empty the Trash to be sure and they shouldn't come back.

4. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

5. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

I'm curious as to why you would suggest that, when it's not a warranty issue at all. It's most likely caused by inadvertently adding the wrong folder to iPhoto.

6. doktordoris thread starter macrumors 6502a

doktordoris

Thanks everyone. As you all suspected clearing my browser cache and deleting everything sorted the problem out. I have never made it a habit to clear the cache, perhaps I better do so.

7. Plymouthbreezer macrumors 601

Plymouthbreezer

Glad to hear it's all sorted out.

Long ago, I found myself so confused as to why all these tiny little icons suddenly appeared in my iPhoto library. Turns out I accidentally imported my iChat Buddy Icon folder into iPhoto (somehow...).

Cleaning out the system and browser cache is always good housekeeping practice. A decent third party maintenance app is Onyx, which does it automatically, and reduces the risk of accidentally trashing important system files.