help! Time Machine deleted all my backups!

Discussion in 'macOS' started by greggov, May 8, 2008.

1. greggov macrumors member

HELP!!!! So I reformatted my laptop and reinstalled Leopard. Kept my system name and User name the same, hoping TM would just pick up where it left off. I did not want a a full system restore, just selected folders (trying to avoid things that may have been corrupt). I left for dinner with my external HD attached while it was being indexed.

I came back to find that TM had deleted every single backup from today to last October. I wasn't done restoring things!!!

Is there any way to recover any of this data? I didn't think TM was just able to delete files without prompting me. I NEED THIS STUFF BACK!~

any help is greatly appreciated!

2. The General macrumors 601

Do you see a folder called Backups.backupdb on your external harddrive?

If so, navigate to it and then go to your computer name, the go to "Latest" and you'll see all the files there.

If Backups.backupdb isn't on your external harddrive, then I dunno what to tell you. :(

[​IMG]

3. greggov thread starter macrumors member

thanks. i tried that. the only date there is tonight (after the reinstall). everything else is gone. i'm running data recovery software on it now hoping to pull something off. :(:mad: