help to choose the best configuration with new MP 2010

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by coldar, Aug 27, 2010.

1. coldar macrumors newbie

hello!
    I'm going to mov from my MP dualcore 2006 to the new MP 2010, I'm just confuse about what I really need without spend useless money.
    I use mainly adobe suite with intensive After Affects and Final Cut and Cinema 4D for 3D rendering. I also do sound design with Logic suite and Native INstruments Reaktor etc.
    So my question is: are 12 core too much for what I really need in terms of speed with ram previews and final renderings or I should buy a lot of ram to let them work perfectly?
    Or maybe the 8 core choice is better in terms of money and future customiation (up to 12 core for example) when motion and grahic software will able to use all that cores?

thanks a lot!

2. aaaaaaron macrumors regular

I don't know for sure, but I would guess the 6-core would be your best match. Use the money you didn't spend getting a 12-core and get an SSD and some more RAM. Also, as many people have told me, don't worry about the future, buy what you need and can afford now.

So 6-core, 128GB or 256GB Intel or OWC SSD, 24GB or 32GB RAM, and your machine will be smoking.

And in the future, you'll probably be buying a new computer anyhow :)

3. aaaaaaron macrumors regular

Also, as far as I know, most software won't max out 12 cores, let alone 8, so that's why I'd vote for the 6. Higher clock speed means faster computer.