Help to decide next apple buy.

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by ChrisRedfield, May 26, 2011.

1. ChrisRedfield macrumors newbie

Hi!! I´m new to the forum, and I need an advice about what to buy. I currently have an Imac 27 - model 11,3 - i5 quad - mid 2010 , and a 2007 Macbook pro (17'' c2duo - 8600m gt - santa rosa). I am having the wish of buying a "new member" of the apple family, and I don´t decide what would be the next...I don´t want to get bored with something, want to do an intelligent invest, so I would go with something that I enjoy the most. My options are :
    (a) A new Macbook Pro 2011, (smaller than the one I have 15.4 inches would be nice).
    (b) An Ipad 2.
    (c) Save the money and spend on another thing.
    I have an ipod touch, so maybe an Ipad is more of the same...ohh...I feel so undecided, lost!, dont know what to buy... :(. And my friends are all in the "dark side" (you know hehehe) so they cannot give me a proper orientation.
    Any help would be very appreciated.
    Thanks in advance!!.

:confused:

2. CFoss macrumors 6502

What are your every day activities? Unless you're doing some intensive work, you really don't need anything else. Don't get the iPad. It might be good for reading books and browsing the Internet with no restrictions, but if I had the choice, I would have gone with an iPhone, or even an iPod Touch. It's too big, yet not powerful enough to be practical in most applications.

3. Michael383 macrumors 6502a

Choosing from your options I'd get a 2011 15" MacBook Pro.

4. Moccasin macrumors 6502a

Moccasin

Do you do much travelling?

If so, the Macbook Air would be an obvious choice. More capable than an iPad but half the weight of a MBP. If you got the base model you wouldn't actually be spending much more than an iPad and for that you get the keyboard, decent SSD and better processor running OS X.

Chances are that there will be a new one out soon and they are great to use. After years of using a 15" Sony Vaio I bought the 11.6" MBA and couldn't be happier.

5. Moccasin macrumors 6502a

Moccasin

PS I know that wasn't one of your options but it does sit well between a 15" MBP and an iPad and provides an ultra-portable OS X machine for those times when you don't want to be lugging around the 17" MBP. A 15" MBP isn't much lighter than a 17" is it?

I can slip my MBA in a small bag and hardly know its there.

6. ranny2 macrumors member

As you already have a MacBook, I would go for the iPad 2. I know your MacBook is a bit dated, but it will still perform well in productivity tasks. If you bought an iPad 2, it would take a lot of strain of your only mobile device - the MacBook. It will also mean you will only have to carry your MacBook around if you have a lot of actual work to get done. Hope this helps

7. 100Teraflops, May 29, 2011
    Last edited: May 29, 2011

100Teraflops macrumors 6502a

100Teraflops

Another vote for a MBP! It sounds like you are buying somethings regardless, so I eliminated option C. :D

EDIT: How is Raccoon City?

8. ChrisRedfield thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks guys!! your comments helped me alot on what to decide!!. I went today for a 2011 15'' MBP mc723lla, and I'm loving it :eek:) (the box actually since I haven't unboxed it yet, I am at the office right now counting the hours to arrive at home! hehehehe.
    Thanks again all for your comments.

@100teraflops : About Racoon, well we're rebuilding the city, you know the last events were devastating!!. Claire, Jill and Leon will come tonight to my home to see my new MBP and we will having dinner of course you are invited!! ;).

9. 100Teraflops macrumors 6502a

100Teraflops

Ha Ha! I already ate, how about tomorrow night? :) Tell the rest of the gang I said hello! Also, I am sure you will enjoy your new MBP!

10. DolemiteJackson macrumors member

I think you made the right choice. Well done.

11. Sam235 macrumors member

Sam235

gratz i am getting my macbook pro next monday :D!

12. BrandGrab macrumors newbie

brandgrab

Intel rang in 2011 with its second-generation Core processors, promising vastly superior performance, better graphics capabilities, and improved energy efficiency. :eek:;):rolleyes::cool:

Wholesale brand name clothes

13. Matthew9559 macrumors 6502a

Matthew9559