help to decide on locked iphone 3gs

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by aiat, Feb 4, 2010.

1. aiat macrumors newbie

i found a good second hand 3gs iphone which is unlocked by software but my friend is strongly against it and say future updates might render it useless since it uses a hacked version of firmware.so i was wondering if there is such a risk involved when buying an locked iphone?:confused:

iim fairly new to this by the way.

2. philstone macrumors 6502

Short yes and no...

Basically, yes future updates could render it useless but you don't HAVE to update - there are plenty of people using unlocked iPhones using a variety of software methods..

What firmware is on it right now?

I certainly would not stay away from a phone purely because it is unlocked...

Let us knwo the firmware and we can offer more advise...

3. aiat thread starter macrumors newbie

hmm,i assume the latest hacked firmware but i have to verify.lets say its the latest,why does that matter?

4. philstone macrumors 6502

Not a huge amount - as its a 3GS it will be 3.1.2 as 3GS can't be jailbroken on 3.1.3 yet and as a general you can't unlock without jailbreaking...

Let's say you're on 3.1.2 - don't update when iTunes asks you too. You say its already soft unlocked so do you see Cydia or Rock?

If you have Cydia load it up and see if it has SHSH's on file - it will say at the top - This device has SHSHs on file for iPhone OS: 3.1, 3.1.2 or similar..
    This means that at any date you can downgrade (always good to have that ability)

Until someone manages to jailbreak the 3.1.3 do not upgrade - do a restore if you need to and use 3.1.2...

From what you have described you are nto at any disadvantage having an unlocked iPhone or should you be concerned... Heck there's probably a few people on here who have newer 3GS that can't jailbreak who would love to have what you've got there...

5. aiat thread starter macrumors newbie

well,turns out its one the new models(after week 40)that has to be connected to pc after each reset or shutdown...:(:(.
    so where does that leave me?is it a chance for this to get fixed anytime soon?

6. philstone macrumors 6502

You're stuck with whats called a "tethered" jailbreak - not much you can do right now other than be careful you're not far from your computer when you reboot - I've used a program called blackra1n to boot a tethered phone in the past with no side effects but there are other programs - depends on your computer OS...

7. aiat thread starter macrumors newbie

:confused::confused:is there something i should know about?