Help to decide on new macbook!

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by andygabriel, Dec 4, 2009.

1. andygabriel macrumors regular

Hi everyone,

Right now i have a 2008 white macbook 2.4GHZ/4GB RAM/ 320GB HD. It's still a pretty good laptop since i just to web surfing, word processing and iLife suite and i also you it as my media center @ home.

I want to get another macbook but i don't know whether i should get a macbook air or a 13" macbook pro.

Basically i want to keep my white macbook and use it as a desktop at home and have another macbook to take with me sometimes but i don't carry my laptop everytime.

I really like the shape and design of the Air. But the macbook pro is faster. But my white macbook is still fast for what i use it for.

I'm willing to wait and see if Apple comes up with a newly designed Air and maybe more powerful and bigger SSD.

Or maybe sell my white macbook and buy a unibody macbook 13" and buy a new Macbook air when the next one comes out!

Please help. I can't decide which will be the best choice.

2. js81 macrumors 65816

js81

Sounds to me like you don't need another laptop.

Keep your current white Macbook and buy a desktop Mac (iMac or Mini, depending on whether you own peripherals or not) and I think you'll be much happier. That's just my opinion, though...

3. andygabriel thread starter macrumors regular

Thx for the advice. But i don't like desktop. I still like to carry my computer around the house therefore laptops are more convenient for me. I already have a 20" screen when i need a bigger screen.

4. 5DollaFootlong macrumors 6502

5DollaFootlong

If you buy the high-end 13 inch macbook pro, that would would only be a .13 ghz boost over your current macbook. Unless, you are using intense cpu-sucking programs, I would keep your macbook and connect it to a monitor when you want to use it as a desktop.

5. PK! macrumors newbie

I guess I'm confused as to why you need a new laptop at all.
    Your current Macbook is pretty new and will get anything done just as well as an Air or MBP for the time being. In my opinion, your Macbook is perfectly portable, and it would be a waste of money at this time. I would wait for at least 6 more months when you can see if Apple has updated the MBP line, and so you can wait until they get the bugs worked out of the newest batch of notebooks.

6. MacKiddyWiddy macrumors 6502

7. mcruzader macrumors regular

I say sell your white MB and buy a MBP, they new ones are solid as a rock, plus you can install up to 8GB of Ram and you will start to appreciate the light up keyboard, something you thought you never needed until you actually start using one.

8. brendu macrumors 68020

keep yours until a new air is released that is powerful enough to take over as your main computer.

9. andygabriel thread starter macrumors regular

I wish i could have a macbook air as my main computer. Will Apple ever release a macbook air powerful enough to be someone's main computer(average user i.e Office, internet, mail, Ilife suite )?:)

If Apple a Macbook air 2.4GHZ 4gb ram and more than 250 HD/SSD, i'd buy the Air immediately.

10. Winni macrumors 68030

Winni

You already have a working notebook and you do not have a rational need to get another one. I don't know about you, but Apple is rich enough already. Stick to your money. But if you cannot resist the urge to spend it, then donate it to a good cause. It's certainly better than buying another thing that you obviously do not need.

"The things you own end up owning you."
    - Tyler Durden in Fight Club

11. Badger^2 macrumors 68000

Badger^2

Its more than powerful enough now to do what you listed.

You are aware that a 250 gig SSD is about $700, right?

Lots of people do the stuff you list on Dell netbooks, with a super crappy Atom processor running 1.6 ghz.

12. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

Everything except iLife. iMovie is not much fun on an Atom.

13. brendu macrumors 68020

the only reason i would say its not there right now is the 2gb max ram limitation, if they put 4 in it then it is totally capable of serving as your main computer for years.

14. J&JPolangin macrumors 68030

...as others have said, if you feel your laptop is currently fast enough for you and you have the screen above = keep your money until a new architecture comes along mid next year...

15. andygabriel thread starter macrumors regular

alrite guys. I think i'll wait till next year and see if Apple updates the Air and if it'd be capable of being a main computer. Then i'll definitely sell my White macbook and buy an Air.

I guess i'll have to wait and see. I'm patient. I could probably wait till Q2 2010.