Help to find notes on backup!

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by gusmer, Oct 9, 2015.

1. gusmer macrumors newbie

Hi everybody. My hard drive crashed, so Apple has installed a new one. Before that, I managed to make a backup using another mac and now the backup is on a SSD disk on an external hard drive. I've got most of my stuff, but I can not find my notes, which are important to me. Apple says it's because they can hide deep in some folders somewhere. Is there someone who knows where and how to find them? They are not saved on iCloud. Thanks in advance :) Regards Marie

2. Fishrrman macrumors G4

This may not help, but try looking in:

home/library/containers/com.apple.notes/data/library/notes

Be aware that normally, the "library" folder in your home folder is invisible.
    If you can't see the library folder, open terminal (in the utilities folder) and copy and paste this into it:
    chflags nohidden ~/Library
    (then hit return and close terminal)

I'm not sure what you can actually do with the files in this folder.
    I can drag and drop them onto the Text Edit icon in the dock, but there is considerable gibberish to "go through" to find meaningful content.

If you want to be free of problems like this in the future, I would advise you to:
    1. Get an external hard drive
    2. Use either CarbonCopyCloner or SuperDuper to create a bootable backup clone of your internal drive onto the external.

This makes it MUCH EASIER to recover from crashes, deleted files, etc.