Help to re-setup Airport Extreme

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Lukeksk, Mar 27, 2014.

1. Lukeksk macrumors member

I have this setup at home that was working for a while but the Airport Extreme showed an amber blinking light and all of a sudden I can't recall how I got AE to work the last time. I need help getting AE to work. This is my setup:

1. An optimal modem to a 2Wire router. The 2Wire router broadcasts a wireless network - call it "wifiA". Connecting to "wifiA" directly, I have no problems accessing the internet with my computer or iPad.

2. From the 2Wire router I have an ethernet cable link to the Airport Extreme (maybe 2nd gen?). The AE is to broadcast another wireless network - call it "wifiB". I somehow got AE to now show a green light but connecting to AE directly, my devices cannot access the internet.

Appreciate any help anyone can provide to get AE to work properly so that I can access the internet while connecting to AE's "wifiB". Thanks in advance.

2. r0k macrumors 68040

r0k

Set up the AEBS in "access point" mode. If the AEBS thinks it is a router, it will try to give out ip addresses. If it thinks it is an access point, it will simply pass traffic through to your 2-wire router which will give out ip addresses. To do this, make sure you set up the "router" feature of the AEBS as "off-bridge mode".

[​IMG]

3. Lukeksk, Mar 28, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 29, 2014

Lukeksk thread starter macrumors member

I have already set the Router Mode to to (Bridge Mode) in the first place - AE is showing green under the Airport Utility map but the Internet is still amber (connection: Disconnected, router address: 192.168.1.254, DNS servers: 192.168.1.254).

Maybe I got my other settings wrong? My Internet settings in AE are:

Connect using: Static
    IPv4 address: 192.168.1.24
    Subnet mask: 255.255.255.0
    Router address: 192.168.1.254
    DNS Servers: 192.168.1.254

Thanks for all help in advance.

UPDATE: I got it to work as you suggested. I did not realized my Powerline Adaptor was giving problems and the network to the Airport Extreme was down. After I got it refreshed, AE was working beautifully. Thanks a million.