Help to reset applications install password.

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by seymoria, Feb 6, 2014.

1. seymoria macrumors newbie

Hi.
    I cannot install anything on my Macbook Air as I have lost the password that prompts before every installation.

I rebooted to recovery disk but nothing happens, a globe just keeps rotating. I know very little about apple devices as I have been a Windows user since last 20 years.

I have no idea how many passwords we have on an apple device, and which is this password. Nor do I know how many disks, hard drives are there on my device. And I don't have recovery disk. Nor do we have any Apple Service centers in my country.

Thanks for help.

2. simsaladimbamba, Feb 6, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 6, 2014

simsaladimbamba

The password you use to let some applications install, is the account password or the administrator password.
    Your MacBook Air only has one storage device, if it is a newer one from late 2010 or newer, then it has a flash storage device, but that is not important for your task.

3. heisenberg123 macrumors 603

heisenberg123

never realized it was that easy so passwords are pretty much useless?

4. simsaladimbamba

One could use FileVault 2 to encrypt the entire volume though, but that is for people with content they do not want to get into other hands.

5. heisenberg123 macrumors 603

heisenberg123

ya good point there are secondary messures to take but even a blackberry you have to wipe all the data if you forget the password that unlocks it

6. seymoria thread starter macrumors newbie

THAT WAS AMAZING !!!!!
    SIMPLY INCREDIBLE !!!!

Thank you so much for this great, invaluable, ingenious, piece of advice.
    The password has been reset successfully. I just called apple support an hour back and they told me to cough out 20$ before they could even talk to me further on my issue on the phone.
    So I owe you the 20$ full :)

Best Regards.

(p.s. I will keep asking some more questions also on this great forum as I get to know more about my new Macbook Air as I use it).

7. simsaladimbamba

Glad to have helped.
    Be sure to also take a look at Advanced Search for getting answers to some of your not so complicated questions.

To learn more about Mac OS X: Helpful Information for Any Mac User by GGJstudios