Help! Toilet won't stop overflwoing!

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by LoganT, Feb 24, 2008.

1. LoganT macrumors 68020

It's about 6 Am and the toilet has been overflowing for about two hours now. It's a mess! I've tried the plunger. Any tips? I'm really nervous.

2. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

Make sure the bowl is full, then turn the water to the cistern off at the side of the cistern to ensure that the bowl doesn't keep overflowing. Is the ball valve in the cistern malfunctioning or is it a blockage in the toilet bowl?

Use a wide-mouthed plunger in the bowl, be vigorous, making sure that no air is in the plunger.

3. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Flooding for 2 hours?

What did you eat for dinner......babies or something? You should have double flushed it, especially when you were half-finished.

If you have a plunger, then use it. If not, shove something into the toilet, like a long garden hose. Maybe it'll work just like a toilet "snake". Just feed that thing down the pipe until you hit the...."stuff".

If you can't fix the problem yourself by 9 AM, then call a plumber.

4. bov macrumors 6502

i think you should post a picture for our enjoyment :D

but for advice.. hmmmmmmm you could try some draino?

it depends i suppose, what caused this overflowing?

5. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

You should never use any drain chemicals in a toilet. If you can't clear the blockage, turn the water off.

Attached Files:

6. LoganT thread starter macrumors 68020

It's blockage in the toilet bowl. From toilet paper.

7. j26 macrumors 65832

j26

I had something like that a while back - 2 litres of bleach and let it sit for a couple of hours.

8. riscy macrumors 6502a

riscy

If you are sure it is a blockage then you might be able to clear it with a bent coat hanger (preferably one with a plastic covering on it), which should enable you to get around the U bend.

9. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

Then you're going to have remove a lot of it by hand... with rubber gloves on.

Use a disposable container to lift and drain off excessive water and paper from the bowl, make sure your eyes and skin are protected.

http://www.videojug.com/film/how-to-unblock-a-toilet

Don't flush the toilet until the blockage is clear.

10. LoganT thread starter macrumors 68020

The problem is I can't feel the toilet paper. I've stuck it in as far as it can go. I'm wondering if the plunger pushed it in but not far enough.

11. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Look at the toilet from the side, on some of them you can see how it winds down -- could be stuck after the next curve.

Either a $20 snake ... or a few squirts of dish soap and some hot water in the bowl.

With the dish soap and hot water, you may have to use a cup/can to remove some (aka quite a bit) water from the bowl first.

And don't pour hot/boiling water fast into a cold toilet -- slow enough into the other water that the temp change won't crack the bowl.

12. Shacklebolt macrumors 6502a

Shacklebolt

The term is "courtesy flush" - treat your toilet(/neighbors/roommate/husband/etc) to one once in a while. But I'm sure you've learned that already.

Really, and I know you're probably way past this point, but take that plunger and have a go at it. And I mean, a serious go at it. Give it several minutes. Like, keep going until your arms feel like they're going to fall off, and at the point, plunge for another few minutes. I still maintain that there are few of a toilet's ills that cannot be solved by having a good go at it with the toilet plunger.

But yeah - seriously, plunge like you've never plunged before, if all else is failing. And like someone else said, 3 hours after your original post (or IMMEDIATELY after you've decided to stop trying and yet cannot fix the problem), call the plumber.

13. RBMaraman macrumors 65816

RBMaraman

EVERYONE should have a plunger like this one at home. It creates a seal in the toilet, and uses forced air to push the blockage down the sewer, breaking it apart as it goes.

My father is a former plumber, and he recommends this plunger to everyone.

It's about $10 at most home improvement stores.

Attached Files:

14. LoganT thread starter macrumors 68020

Well all is fixed. I had to use one of those plungers that is more oval than round. It's kind of like a spring meaning with most plungers you have to push it firmly then pull it out slowly. With the one I used I could just pump it without stopping. Apart from my bedroom being a mess and all my clothes (except for the ones that I'm wearing) and bed sheets and comforters and paper towels and towels filled with water weighing over 200 lbs probably (it sure feels like it). And 6 rolls of paper towels to stop the kitchen from getting flooded and about 4 pots. All is well right now. Until my parents wake up...

Thanks for all the help. :):D

15. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Lets see the photos.

Don't screw us around. After all the time and effort we have given you, you definitely need to show us the mess. ;)

16. ErikCLDR macrumors 68000

Next time you should learn to turn off the water!!

This is a hilarious thread though. It's made my day.

Thanks

17. LoganT thread starter macrumors 68020

The thing is I wasn't even going to the bathroom. I was cleaning around my sink with some water and toilet paper and just threw that in the toilet. I guess it was too much.

18. riscy macrumors 6502a

riscy

Now you're just boasting ;)

19. kainjow Moderator emeritus

kainjow

Seriously next time plunging isn't the thing to do when it starts overflowing. You have to shut off the water which you can do with the water valve or just close the flap thing in the water tank which allows the water to flow into the bowl. That always work 100% of the time whenever I've had toilet problems (they've been good to me the last few years ;)).

20. biturbomunkie macrumors 6502a

sounds like what i was doing last night.

oh... and my pipe got cleaned real good.