Help! Took apart MacBook, have "extra pieces"

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by BulkHedd, Sep 25, 2010.

1. BulkHedd macrumors 6502

BulkHedd

Today I took apart my white MacBook (late 2006 model) to blow the dust out.
    After I reassembled it I found 2 small plastic pieces. They look like spacers or something. The dis-assembly/re-assembly wasn't difficult but I don't really want to do it again unless these parts are pretty important.
    Can someone identify these and tell me where they go?

[​IMG]

2. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

Go here, select your model and look for yourself what it might be.

3. pvmacguy macrumors 65816

pvmacguy

Those look like the clips that secure the top case and the bottom case together. They are usually located on the bottom part of the case. Do you have an areas on the top case where it isn't together well like raised up on the edges?

4. pastrychef macrumors 601

pastrychef

pvmacguy is correct. These slide the the edge of the bottom case and the top case snaps on to these.

5. tkermit macrumors 68040

tkermit

Here's a picture of them in place (I replaced my superdrive with an optibay)

Attached Files:

• mb.jpg
      mb.jpg
      File size:
      96.9 KB
      Views:
  6. BulkHedd thread starter macrumors 6502

BulkHedd

7. pvmacguy macrumors 65816

pvmacguy

I would take it apart and find where those went and put them back, if you ever get cracks in your top case and have apple replace it you wouldn't want them to deny your claim saying it cracked because those clips weren't there.

As for that middle screw, that position to try and screw something back together is absolutely awful. I took apart a blackbook to blow out dust and clean the top case and the far left screw gave me resistance because it wasn't perfectly aligned due to the tight space.

8. BulkHedd thread starter macrumors 6502

BulkHedd

I did take it apart but I only found (3) of the clips so I'm missing one. My MacBook is 4 years old so I don't think Apple would replace it anyway.