Help! Torrents are killing my AirPort Extreme!!

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by robertnas99, Aug 23, 2007.

1. robertnas99 macrumors newbie

Whenever using any torrent-client over my new AirPort Extreme Base Station it kills my internet connection. It can take anywhere from 15min - 2h for it to happen. To get the internet back up and running I have to unplug the power chord from the base station and put it back in. I got my DSL-modem connected into the AirPort Extreme for wireless internet.

Here is where it gets interesting. When hooking up my DSL-modem -> MacBookPro and/or MacBook with Ethernet, everything works perfectly!!

I got maximum signal strenght from the Base Station. Ports are forwarded correctly. Always working internet when NOT using torrent-clients.

Anyone else running any torrent-client with the new AirPort Extreme Base Station? Is it working for you?

Any suggestions for me to get it up and running would make me a very very happy mac'er =)

2. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

Possible causes...

1. Bandwidth throttling from your ISP
    2. You're saturating your upstream connection so that you can't make outgoing requests as easily.

3. robertnas99 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the fast reply!

Wouldn't the throttling affect my connection in the same manor though when running over ethernet? My internet connection is 24/2,5mbit. So even though I maximise my upstream speed (2,5mbit) that should be pretty far from saturating the wifi-net. I usually copy files from the USB-hdds connected to the base station at speed anywhere between 3-5MB/s - without problems... hmmm

4. MacBlackBook22 macrumors 6502

MacBlackBook22

I have downloaded torrents from both wifi and ethernet and had no problems with either using the new airport extreme.

5. robertnas99 thread starter macrumors newbie

Hmm... Kinda starting to think I got a faulty base station. Maybe I'll just have to give apple support another call... Last time they "threatened" me with a $70 fee I they would just find some obvious setup error. But I'm pretty sure I can outrule that by now from trying just about every setup option at least twice.

Btw, I bought this Base Station in Singapore and I currently live in Sweden. Do you guys think this would make any difference at all? I can only choose between Australia, Hong Kong, Singapore etc. from the AirPort utility. Dunno if the technology over there would differ somehow. Wouldn't think so, but then again.......

6. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

There have been cases of faulty Airport Extreme Base Stations. Just tell them it drops your wireless connection and you want it replaced. You might need to jump through some troubleshooting hoops though.

7. robertnas99 thread starter macrumors newbie

yeah, I'll get on the phone straight away. Reckon it's about time... I'll throw in an update reply later on.

8. Objectivist-C macrumors 6502

This happens with many models of routers. Try reducing the maximum number of connections in your BT client.

9. robertnas99 thread starter macrumors newbie

Yeah, I've been laborating with the amount of allowed global connections from various BT-clients for quite some time. Been down to 100 and still, my Base Station drops my internet connection. Usually the standard setting for BT-clients would be somewhere around 200 global connections. I've actually started a thread on Transmission's forum as well, and got replies from users using the AirPort Extreme Base Station with Transmission without any problems. What makes this interesting is that Transmission's global connection limit is set to 200, and you aren't allow to change this value anywhere = the base station is obviously able to handle this amount of connections... So I'm pretty sure I can outrule this one as the problem.

Any other suggestions, anyone? I'm really up for trying any idea to get this working without having to send it in for replacement.

Btw, haven't had time to call :apple: support yet...

10. BillyBobBongo macrumors 68020

BillyBobBongo

I was getting the same problem when using Utorrent. I found that if I restricted the 'upload' bandwidth things became much more stable. I also found that I had less problems using firmware version 7.0 instead of 7.1.1 myself.

11. robertnas99 thread starter macrumors newbie

Oh! Downgraded firmware 7.1.1 -> 7.1 on my base station. Now, after about 30 mins of torrenting everything is still stable, and I haven't gotten those "transfer error" messages that I have had to get used to popping up every 5 mins or so (in Transmission, not in Azureus etc.)

Fingers crossed... :)

12. robertnas99 thread starter macrumors newbie

Closure! At last...

After updating to firmware 7.2.1 that came out just the other day, everything is now stable. Figures it was only a firmware issue after spending about a month troubleshooting... haha :rolleyes:

Ok, but thanks a lot for the help MacRumors-members. This really is the best forum out there!