HELP: Torrents - Port forwarding - Message parsing failed

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Kevster89, Dec 29, 2008.

1. Kevster89 macrumors regular

Kevster89

I am having a lot of trouble with the following matters dealing with BitTorrent:

1) Setting up a Static IP
    2) Port Forwarding

I feel as if I have done these correctly, following the instructions of portforward.com that many forum users have recommended, but when I try to download a torrent I receive the message "Message parsing failed."

Ahhh I just want BitTorrent to work. I have tried everything to establish a static IP, and when I do my internet connection through my router usually fails. Going through my NetGear router, I have set up port forwarding per my IP address but I still cannot download torrents.

Any help would be appreciated... this is extremely frustrating and I know many, many forum users are very experienced with Torrents and these kinds of issues. Thanks everyone.

2. americanpride69 macrumors newbie

I'm having literally the same problem... Anyone got help? Same computer...

3. tman07 macrumors regular

what netgear router do you have? Sometimes netgear routers hate bittorrent, and i've found you have to reboot them in order to get properly forwarded ports. I was having to do this daily.
    Mind you, i've updated my firmware since and it doesnt seem to be an issue as much as it has.

Maybe it will help?

4. naugler1 macrumors newbie

message parsing failed

I have the same problem. I have 10.5.8 and the bittorrent is version 4.27.2. It's a beta. As well as saying "message parsing failed" it says "Online maybe firewalled". Does Safari block bittorrents?

5. ukboris macrumors newbie

Open firewall ports

I have the same issue with 'message parsing failed' shown.

'Maybe firewalled' occurs when ports 6681-6889 are closed on your firewall. You need to open the ports using system preferences > network - create a new exemption using the firewall tab:

[​IMG]

You'll also need to do the same on your router (if you have one) to forward the open ports to the ip address of the computer you are running bittorrent on.

Anyone know why 'message parsing failed' is shown?

6. Syntext macrumors newbie

I followed all the instructions to configure and am too getting "Message parsing failed" at the bottom of the window. But I am "Online, ports open" and the download is progressing, so I'm just going to let it run for now.