HELP: TOUCHPAD

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by georgerice, Sep 3, 2015.

1. georgerice macrumors newbie

A few years ago i spilt a cup of coffee on my keyboard. I have a macbook pro 13 inch mid 2009. Some of my keys didnt work after that and my touchpad too. Experts told me that a drop of coffee damaged the inside area of touchpad system and thats why it is not recognizing any motion. But it recognize clicking. What is going wrong? Click works fine but touch dont. I think that they wanted more money and thats why they told me to replace keyboard with touchpad because these 2 goes together. Thats what they told me. What do you think?

2. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 603

It sounds like you've lived with it for a couple of years and that at six years old you'd be far better off putting repair money into a new computer.

3. georgerice thread starter macrumors newbie

My question is if is this possible. The way my touchpad works right now. Clicking YES Motion NO. How is this possible?
    Also i saw a video about the inside of a macbook pro and the keyboard is not one with touchpad. Just to seperated parts. But experts told me that are ONE and i had to buy them both to fix my touch.

4. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 603

It depends who you mean by experts and what they actually said, if it was apples people they will quote you what they will do which is replace the whole top case it is quick and easy and will cost a lot outside warranty. This is not the same as you can't change the individual parts it is quoting what they will do.

As to the click and no motion, sure can't see why not, one is on a mechanical circuit one on a touch sensitive electrical one. Of course the new force touch touchpads probably wouldn't be able to show this behaviour due not having a mechanical click.

My question for you is why the sudden interest 2-3 years later when the machine is six years old???

5. georgerice thread starter macrumors newbie

Because now i watched a vid and i saw these two seperated parts. What if they didn't connect a cable and told me this to make more $ from my accident. I think im gonna open my machine and see with my eyes if touchpad's cable is not connected well.

6. snaky69 macrumors 603

You're seeing a conspiracy where there isn't one.

To replace the trackpad they have to switch out the whole topcase, which comes with the keyboard as well. Any Apple Store or AASP will tell you as much.

The touch function and click function are two separate mechanisms, independent of each other, it's quite possible for one to work while the other does not.

Remember, just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they're not after you :p

7. ApolloBoy macrumors 6502a

ApolloBoy

Uh no, the trackpad is just screwed onto the top case. Just take out the battery, disconnect the trackpad, undo a few screws on the trackpad and it comes right out.

8. georgerice thread starter macrumors newbie

Exactly. Anyways i thought that "touching" and "clicking" was the same mechanism. The second is working good but not the first and i thought that something went wrong with these experts.

Thanks for the instant replies. Appreciate it!

(Sorry for my bad English)

9. Freyqq macrumors 68040

The click mechanism is separate from the touch mechanism. One is broken. The other is not.