Help! Trackpad is bugging out

no0odlezz

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 2, 2008
Hi, I have a 2011 early MBP. My trackpad is failing to work and respond properly whenever I touch it. If I don't touch it at all and have an external mouse attached (hard wired) I can left click and right click just fine. When i touch the trackpad, it bugs out and fails to respond. Any advice on how to move forward and fix this?

Altemose

macrumors G3
Mar 26, 2013
Elkton, Maryland
Hi, I have a 2011 early MBP. My trackpad is failing to work and respond properly whenever I touch it. If I don't touch it at all and have an external mouse attached (hard wired) I can left click and right click just fine. When i touch the trackpad, it bugs out and fails to respond. Any advice on how to move forward and fix this?
Try disabling "Tap To Click" in Trackpad settings in System Preferences...

no0odlezz

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 2, 2008
May want to look at getting a new trackpad. But first, hold CMD R and see if the trackpad misbehaves while in the recovery partition. If it does you know it's hardware.
cmd r on boot up?

i just disabled the trackpad and am using a mouse now.

ColdCase

macrumors 68030
Feb 10, 2008
NH
Good advice here. Just a note that trackpads seem to be sensitive to moisture. One or two rain drops and you can get a badly misbehaving trackpad. Sometimes they work well after they dry out for a few days, most of the time not. I forget, does the early 2011 MBP have a removable battery under the trackpad? A swelling battery can put pressure on the trackpad making it wonky.

Altemose

macrumors G3
Mar 26, 2013
Elkton, Maryland
Good advice here. Just a note that trackpads seem to be sensitive to moisture. One or two rain drops and you can get a badly misbehaving trackpad. Sometimes they work well after they dry out for a few days, most of the time not. I forget, does the early 2011 MBP have a removable battery under the trackpad? A swelling battery can put pressure on the trackpad making it wonky.
It is removable, as in not attached to the top case like the rMBP models. However, Apple doesn't want you to remove the battery as it will void the warranty.

That being said, a new trackpad can be ordered from iFixit in new condition for $100 including screws. Now if the OP has AppleCare, it should be covered under that agreement.