Help - Trade In Late 2011 MBP

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by void1916, Jun 12, 2012.

1. void1916, Jun 12, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 12, 2012

void1916 macrumors newbie

Hi,

I am looking for an option to trade in my MBP (bought in Mar 2012) for the new ones launched in WWDC.

I spoke to Apple and they said they can't do anything as it passed the return period (14 days etc.).:(

I have never sold anything in eBay or CraigsList.

Any other options do I have except living with the old one ? :rolleyes:

2. MacVibe macrumors regular

Your computer is probably worth $100-200 less than the amount Apple sells is for on their refurbished site. If you can take that sort of hit, try listing on craigslist and let it sit there for a couple of weeks and see if there are any bites. Listing there is easy, just read through a few pages of computer adds to get an idea of what an attractive craigslist ad looks like. And then follow the common sense advice of not putting any personal information (address, phone) directly in the listing and only selling in-person at a public place where the buyer can turn on the computer and test drive it. You WILL get spammed from craigslist with pretend buyers who want you to send you them the computer and just ignore those, don't even respond.

Ebay stinks for first time sellers, so I don't recommend that for someone in your situation. Buyers will stay away or you'll only get a very low bid. If you have a friend with an account with more than a handful of transactions and 100% positive feedback, ask them to sell it for you. Then, you'll be subject to all sorts of obnoxious fees (I consider ebay fees duplicitous with Paypal) and you'll have to answer a bunch questions from buyers about your auction listing.

3. void1916 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks Buddy. I will try.