HELP! transfer mini dv to macbook?

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by lemstar, Oct 27, 2008.

1. lemstar macrumors newbie

We bought a firewire for the macbook, and are trying to transfer video data from mini dv to macbook, with OS version 10.5.5. The camcorder is a Samsung sc d-382. The camera manual says system requirements include Mac OS 9.1-10.4. Is that our problem? The macbook does not seem to recognize the camera. We tried using iMovie, but with no luck.
    This is extremely frustrating. Can anyone help? In any way??

Is there a better camcorder that will work well with this macbook? (It is my 13 yr old son who is trying to do this, and we cannot buy a $500 camcorder, but I would return this one and get a different one if that's a reasonable solution).
    Can we change to a lower OS, or is that lame? Can we transfer data to a different laptop (Windows XP or Vista), save to disc, and transfer to the mac book?

HELP!!!! Thanks a million,
    Jayne and Ben

2. rjphoto macrumors 6502a

rjphoto

Looking at the specs, it should be ok.

Let's check the basic stuff first.

Does the computer see that it is plugged in? Clcik the apple in the top left hand corner of the screen, then click "About this Mac", in the window that opened click "More info". A new window opens. Scroll down the list and click Firewire.

If the computer can see the device (camcorder) it should be in the list.

Let me know, I've got to go check on something. Be right back.

3. arjen92 macrumors 65816

arjen92

I can't help you much, but I think you should be able to import with mac os 10.5.5, if that doesn't work older os versions neither will. Second, how is your camcorder connected, I assume with firewire, and not with usb. (maybe it's a dumb preassuming, but you never know). My camcorder's usb only works with windows (I think), so maybe that's it. But I actually think that any camcorder with firewire should be able to connect. Do you have the latest software?

4. lemstar thread starter macrumors newbie

reply re firewire

Thanks for the speedy reply!!
    We did as you said, clicked on apple, then firewire, and no, it did not come up on the list. the screen read "firewire bus: unable to list firewire devices, max speed up to 400 mb/sec"

so??? (boy would my son be thrilled to get this working!)

but it did recognize that the firewire was there....

5. lemstar thread starter macrumors newbie

and yes, i was using a firewire. not sure about latest software--using iMovie--version 7.1.4--

6. synth3tik macrumors 68040

synth3tik

stupid question, but is this an Oct '08 Macbook or an older model?

Second thing that might help. I have a lower/mid range camera and with it I have to plug it in, turn it on and switch it to play back. Once I do that FCE opens (iMove in your case) then I can import the movie file.

7. danny_w macrumors 601

Good point. The camera won't show up if it is off or in camera mode, only in playback mode (at least my Sony HC30 is that way). When I bring up iMovie I get an import screen but the import button is grayed out until I set the camera to playback mode.

8. rjphoto macrumors 6502a

rjphoto

It could be the cable.

in your original post you said you bought a firewire for you MacBook. I'm just guesssing, did you mean you bought a firewire cable? First let's make sure it's a firewire cable. (Big plug on one end, small plug on the other end. Big plug has one side rounded?)
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:FireWire-46_Diagram.svg

Do you have any other Firewire devices you can use to check the port on the computer?

Are you close enough to the store you can take it back and have them test it or take the computer and camera to test another cable?

Like the guys said above, make sure the camera is on and in the playback mode, too. (my sonys will work in playback and in shoot mode, but will show a live picture in shoot mode.)

Another test: Unplug everything, turn off the computer. Plug the cable into both camera and computer. Then Computer back on and run the About this Mac check again.

9. lemstar thread starter macrumors newbie

yes, its a real firewire--cable, that is. IEEEwhateveritis firewire cable, going into firewire port.
    the computer was purchased last december, so not from oct 08, but not old.
    yes, we made sure it was in playback.
    the computer recognized the firewire, just not any hardware connected with it.
    we called best buy, and samsung, and both said it was because we have MAC OS version 10.5.5, and this camera says it requires 9.1-10.4.
    this doesn't make sense to me.

anyone have a camcorder under $300 that will transfer data to their macbook, version 10.5.5?

10. rjphoto macrumors 6502a

rjphoto

Doesn't make since to me either.

I've never done a roll back in all the years I've been using Macs except a complete reformat and re-install on an old G4 Powerbook. Shouldn't be too hard.

As far as the computer seeing the Firewire and not the device it may still be the cable.

If you bought the cable or camera at Best Buy, maybe they will help you if you take it in.

Best bet is to try another device such as a firewire hard drive or another camera with another cable.