help: transfering 4gb iso image on to FAT format ext. drive partition

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by pan0rama, Jan 27, 2011.

1. pan0rama macrumors newbie

pan0rama

Here is the issue:
    I am trying to burn an iso image onto a FAT format partition of my WD 1 TB my passport ex. drive. When I try to copy or transfer the file on to this partition (same problem with FAT partition on USB flash drive) I get this error:

unexpected error issue: Error 0

Other files transfer on to this partition just fine.. Other ISOs of a similar nature also get the the same error when I try to transfer. I have tried changing the file name to more basic characters, it seems that after finally having everything ready to go in this process, I mean everything and more:
    http://www.wiihacks.com/how-tutorials-guides/65697-configurableusb-wbfs-manager-mac-files-short-formatting-guide.html
    I am stuck. I have no idea what to do. Any thoughts or suggestions are greatly appreciated..

2. pan0rama, Jan 27, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 27, 2011

pan0rama thread starter macrumors newbie

pan0rama

3. dhd macrumors member

dhd

That was spam. Regarding the iso image, the problem is on the external HD. It's formatted as fat, and fat can't handle 4 gb (and bigger) files. You'll need to re-format to HFS or NFTS. Keep in mind that in the process everything on that HD will be erased, so move your files to your computer or another HD.

4. Cybernanga macrumors regular

The FAT32 disk format has a file size limitation of 4GB.

Unfortunately, you can't have a file larger that 4GB on a FAT32 formatted disk.

Try using an HFS, EXT3, or NTFS formatted disk.

5. jman240 macrumors 6502a

Exfat format will also work and is writeable by all modern os's. Osx10.6.6 and windows 7 so best for compatibility as it is like fat but without the 4 gb file limit.