Help transfering files to External hard drive

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by danycsrj, Sep 2, 2011.

1. danycsrj macrumors newbie

So after long time dealing with little memory on my mac, I got 2 external hard drives ( 2T each) On e a Lacie D2 quadra and a cheaper Iomega ( very slow, which they just sent a refurb replacement hoping it will work better). What the best way to transfer my whole life, I mean, my files ( Photos, Videos, etc)

thanks

Danielle

2. Mitchelino macrumors 6502

You could do a Time Machine backup using the Time Machine app. This backs up everything on your Mac onto the external hard drive. I have a 1TB LaCie which I use for this.

In addition to Time Machine backups, I also manually add very important files to their own folders within the external hard drive. To do that, I just create a folder in the external hard drive, then drag files from my Mac's HDD to said folder.

If you specifically want to use your external hard drive as an extension to your Mac's, I'd suggest keeping it plugged in, and putting videos and photos specifically on it. Basically as I mentioned above: make a folder within the external hard drive, then place your files in there however you like them organized. Just be sure to have the external hard drive plugged in when you need to get at the files.

Hope that helps!