Help transferring applications

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by N.B.Morton, Feb 14, 2008.

1. N.B.Morton macrumors newbie

N.B.Morton

I just have a 20" imac and i just bought a macbook. I am trying to get certain things off my profile on the imac. I tried to use migration assistant but it seems to only let me do the whole profile. I just want to get a few apps and things. Is there any way to just pick and chose what you want? any help would be great!

2. mediaguru macrumors regular

In many cases, you can simply copy your applications from one computer's Applications folder to another. Often, you can also copy preference and support files (and even complete folders) for particular applications from one computer to another. Look for customized settings in your '~/Library/Application Support' folder and your '~/Library/Preferences' folder (where ~ is the name of your user "home" folder). Once these files are replaced in the exact same location on another computer, your applications should inherit your custom preferences.

3. N.B.Morton thread starter macrumors newbie

N.B.Morton

Thanks a lot! That worked great. The only thing i can't get to transfer is the address book. My new computer has leopard and the old one has tiger...would that have any affect on the address book?

4. mediaguru macrumors regular

On your first computer export your address book to an archive. Copy the archive to your new computer and double-click on it to import into Address book.