Help Transferring Applications

Discussion in 'macOS' started by helix21, Dec 25, 2009.

1. helix21 macrumors regular

My new 500GB 7200rpm should arrive soon and I reckon I should start looking for ways to make the transition as seamless as possible.

I want to clean install snow leopard (always wanted to do this so I guess this is the best time) and then transfer all my applications. I dont really want to transfer my files because that is a simple drag and drop and want to reorganise.

The problem comes with apps such microsoft office which I got from my uncle (he had a family pack). How do I transfer these? I have thought of the simple 'copy the apps folder' approach - surely thats a bit too simplistic and wouldnt work?

I do have a timemachine backup of the system but I think by doing that I will remove the benefits of a clean install.

Thanks for the help.

2. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

Personally I do a clean install then use migration assistant to move my time machine backup over. Works perfectly and keeps the system clean. If you want to organize you can do it then. Unless you have a ton of time on your hands I'd go this route as it will save you a lot of time.