help transferring files to new computer.

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Nadasive, Nov 11, 2008.

1. Nadasive macrumors 6502

okay so i have my macbook pro FILLED with stuff i need and i use all the time. and im switching to my iMac because it has a bigger screen and i need a bigger screen and its faster and more HDD for what i do with it.

well i dont really know how to say this but i want to get everything in my macbook pro (softwares/files, etc) and put it in my imac.
    Like get the whole OS with my files my everything and put it in my iMac so my iMac is pretty much exactly like my MacBookPro file wise.

my external HDD uses timemachine on my MBP, can i plug my external HDD to my iMac and restore everything from my last backup on my iMac? :confused:

2. themoonisdown09 macrumors 601

themoonisdown09

An easy way to transfer files from your Macbook Pro to your iMac would be to use Target Disk Mode.

To do this, connect a Firewire cable from your Macbook Pro to your iMac. Then power off your Macbook Pro and power it back on while holding the 'T' key. Your Macbook should be mounted onto your iMac. You can now get any files or applications off of it.

3. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Use Migration Assistant (in your Utilities folder). You can connect the Macs via a Firewire cable or do it via Ethernet.

4. Nadasive thread starter macrumors 6502

ya i cant believe i never knew about this before, it worked great. thanks.