[HELP] Transferring iPod Songs to my new MacBook Pro?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Brainless24, Nov 9, 2013.

1. Brainless24 macrumors member

Okay so I just purchased the new MacBook Pro 13 inch 2.5 ghz and I want to put everything from my last iTunes (on another computer) to my MacBook's itunes. My friend told me that if I open up the iTunes app on my new MacBook and just plug in my iPod and "sinc" it that everything would copy over from my iPod to my iTunes, is this true? Will this work? And yes I understand this will take a couple hours. :apple:

2. rgarjr macrumors 603

rgarjr

You need to copy and transfer your Music folder over to your new computer.

3. old-wiz macrumors G3

iTunes will not copy the music from the iPod to the Mac.

You need a program like senutil. Or copy the iTunes stuff from your other computer, hopefully a Mac.

Apple did this to prevent piracy...otherwise people would have a group and each would buy a few songs and then pass them around... dumb I know, but that;s the way it worked out.

4. Bruno09 macrumors 68020

Just copy your iTunes folder from the old computer (Mac or PC) to the Music folder on the new Mac.

No. That's wrong : the synchronisation works from the Mac to the iPod, not from the iPod to the Mac.

5. Brainless24 thread starter macrumors member

How do I do that?

6. KUguardgrl13 macrumors 68020

KUguardgrl13

You have an iPod as opposed to an iPhone, so it's actually not impossible to do (and no unnecessary software either!). You just have to reveal the hidden files on your iPod in Finder. I did this back in 2009 when I moved from my parents' PC to my own MacBook Pro.

Copy Tunes From Your iPod to Your Mac

Just remember to authorize your new computer to your iTunes account, and you'll be good to go (do this regardless of what method you use; iTunes is able to identify individual computers)!

Another way would be to get an external hard drive and use Migration Assistant to restore a Time Machine backup of your old computer (if it's a Mac) onto your new computer or just drag and drop the iTunes folder if that's all you want to move. You can also use Migration Assistant to transfer from a PC, but I've never done that before.

7. bra34b macrumors newbie

Copy the entire iTunes folder over Ethernet. Transfers all music, playlists, etc.