Help- transferring iTunes library

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Eldiablojoe, Oct 27, 2011.

1. Eldiablojoe macrumors 6502a

Eldiablojoe

My friend has the current version of iTunes on both his desktop PC and his laptop PC. He primarily uses the desktop iTunes to sync his iPod Touch.

However, he's got an iPhone4s (his first iPhone) expected to arrive Monday. In preparation and excitement he wants to transfer all his media from his desktop this laptop iTunes so the laptop will be his primary iTunes library.

He used an external hard drive to move the media over.

His purchased music shows up and plays just fine on his laptop iTunes now, but the music from his 50 or so CDs that had been ripped into the desktops iTunes are not showing up in the laptop iTunes. He gets a File Not Found error.

Any ideas what's going on and how to resolve it?

2. HazyCloud macrumors 68030

HazyCloud

He will probably need to re-drag all of his music back into iTunes. iTunes originally was looking for that music in a different directory, so now that it's moved, iTunes doesn't know where the music is.

Easiest way is to delete the broken links from iTunes one artist/album by one and bring it back into iTunes. If he only has 50 or so CD's it won't take that long at all.

(I moved my iTunes library from PC to my Mac and iTunes didn't know where my music was either. It took me roughly 30 hours over a weekend to get everything back and fix any broken metadata.