Help transferring Outlook files to new MacBook

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by GoTexan, Jan 27, 2009.

1. GoTexan macrumors newbie

How I can transfer all of my files from my HP laptop to my new Macbook.

I have to return my company HP laptop but want to make sure I have all of my files and documents saved and most of the files are in Microsoft Outlook 2003.

Any advice or tips, I've been searching this forum but cannot find the answers I need.

Where do I begin???
    Thanks!

2. JediMeister macrumors 68040

Give this a try. Disclaimer: haven't used it myself before and I'm not advertising for them. Looks like a pretty straightforward application, and you're not breaking the bank for a $10 piece of software.

3. madog macrumors 65816

madog

I've done it before, but not often enough to remember exactly...

It's either in Outlook or Outlook Express (I'm thinking express) in which the emails or database can be exported to a specific format the Mac Mail can read. Either that, or the emails themselves can be dragged and dropped to the desktop/folder and then dragged in Mail to import them over.

Ahah! Just found this...

http://guides.macrumors.com/Moving_Email_from_PC_Outlook_to_Apple_Mail

And no offense, but for a laugh I thought I'd add this:

**************************!

4. JustGretchen macrumors 6502

The best way i have found is to simply install Mozilla Thunderbird.

After that, when you launch thunderbird, it should ask if you want to import all your messages/contacts/etc... from Outlook/Outlook Express.

Thunderbird automatically creates .mbox files for each of your mailboxes that contain your emails/attachments.

At this point you can simply find the files on your hard drive and then copy those .mbox files to your Mac and import them with Mail, as .mbox files are compatible w/ mail.

As far as your address book/contacts goes, same thing. Let Thunderbird import them, then go into the address book in Thunderbird and select all of your contacts at once, and export them as a VCARD.

Copy the VCard file over to your Mac, and double click it, your contacts should automatically add themselves over to your Address Book on your mac.

Hope this helps...It really is THAT easy.

5. Bullox macrumors newbie

Does this take all the folders and sub folders in their order and put them back in the same order in mail?