Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

CompuDuh

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 18, 2021
So all the videos I am finding about how to transfer the “Music” ( originally called iTunes) App completely to an external drive. All the videos show me going into “preferences ” which is not in Sonoma. I’m coming from a 2009 Mac mini and my new M2 mini with 512gb storage will fill fast if I don’t move my “Music” library to an external. I know once I learn how to move it that I have to go and delete the old/ its path so as to have it completely removed from my Mac. I started by using the Apple link to do this but not much help ( for me anyway). I then tried finding others but still not clear. Please and dumbed down way of doing this or link would be SO APPRECIATED… I need to backup my iPhone but cannot until I have done this.

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
So all the videos I am finding about how to transfer the “Music” ( originally called iTunes) App completely to an external drive. All the videos show me going into “preferences ” which is not in Sonoma. I’m coming from a 2009 Mac mini and my new M2 mini with 512gb storage will fill fast if I don’t move my “Music” library to an external. I know once I learn how to move it that I have to go and delete the old/ its path so as to have it completely removed from my Mac. I started by using the Apple link to do this but not much help ( for me anyway). I then tried finding others but still not clear. Please and dumbed down way of doing this or link would be SO APPRECIATED… I need to backup my iPhone but cannot until I have done this.
Go toMusic/settings and select "sync". Do this on all you apple devices and then all music will be on all devices. Well not really it will be on Apple's cloud service and as much as will fit will be on each device. Do this as the first step.

Next click the "files" tab. This is where you tell the Music app where to store you music. Choose your external disk if that is what you want.

Next there is a "download" option. This will copy all music to your computer.

For most people "sync" is the best option. This way your 800 GB colection of music can be played on your phone or on any other device. Yes you pay for the 800 GB of storage but the price is not bad and worth it so you canm access it world wide and not worry about loosing.

But you do have the option to also keep a local copy if you click the "'download button and you tell it where in "'files".

CompuDuh

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 18, 2021
It’s so weird that there seems to be almost no info on how to move the MUSIC app to an external drive for Sonoma. I know it’s new but one would think that YouTube would be full of them but sadly no. I will keep waiting and I’m sure someone here has someone here has done this already.

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
It’s so weird that there seems to be almost no info on how to move the MUSIC app to an external drive for Sonoma. I know it’s new but one would think that YouTube would be full of them but sadly no. I will keep waiting and I’m sure someone here has someone here has done this already.
It is very clear. Music->Settings->files then fill in the box where the files go.

Screenshot 2023-12-28 at 8.35.11 PM.png

Reactions: CompuDuh

CompuDuh

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 18, 2021
Does this apply to OS Sonoma.. With my ancient 09 mini things like this were actually easier.

CompuDuh

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 18, 2021
It is very clear. Music->Settings->files then fill in the box where the files go.

View attachment 2330249
Part of my problem is getting it to the right destination. So, like” /external “ and where in the chain would I put the destination. Before /home or after /itunesMusic…. Then I know I used to have to go back and delete the original destination/ app or library on my Mac. If I was running Ventura I could do this with less trouble as I see several step by step videos (and websites) on how to do this. I cannot find any videos on Sonoma regarding this. I see that “Preferences” has been replaced and all the info I find speaks of using the “preferences”…. I apologize if I am coming off completely out of touch with these things but my computer skills are merely a means to an end and I learn what I need to and should probably learn more. I plan to start looking into more topics and actually committing them to memory. I did look before posting as I do not simply want others to do the work for me here. I am always thankful for any help I get and try to pass it on. Thank you for replying as I do appreciate it.

MarkC426

macrumors 68040
May 14, 2008
UK
Are you looking to just move your Music library to an external disk...?

This is what I did (from Mojave iTunes), all my music was downloaded to my Mac (by choice), I also have CD's/Vinyl.
1.Copy the Music folder to the external drive.
2.In Music app, settings (from top menu), Files tab, point to the new external location.

You may need to 'import' each playlist (use shortcut cmd o).

But all music will be on the external drive locally.
Any purchases can stay in the cloud if you want, to save space.

CompuDuh

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 18, 2021
Are you looking to just move your Music library to an external disk...?

This is what I did (from Mojave iTunes), all my music was downloaded to my Mac (by choice), I also have CD's/Vinyl.
1.Copy the Music folder to the external drive.
2.In Music app, settings (from top menu), Files tab, point to the new external location.

You may need to 'import' each playlist (use shortcut cmd o).

But all music will be on the external drive locally.
Any purchases can stay in the cloud if you want, to save space.
I think we are thinking of the same thing. I want to completely bypass any music going on my Mac. Between 20 years of music and movies as well as iPhone backups ( some of which is used in the Music app ) I have way too much to have ANY of it go on my internal drive. Still going to try to play around with the bits and pieces of info I have found on the web and here and hopefully figure this out. Still hoping someone here as a dumbed down step by step way of doing this. When I do figure this out I am going to post here exactly how I did it so others can easily do this. I managed to move the ”pictures” app to the external and I was able to toss the app on the Mac in the trash as it now is being directed to the external. I unplugged the external and sure enough it is unable to find the “pictures” app. I was able to see also that it was being directed to the external. Now, why it’s harder for “Music” ( formally iTunes ) to move escapes me. Thanks for responding and I will give it a shot.

MarkC426

macrumors 68040
May 14, 2008
UK
I don't think you should be moving apps to an external drive and deleting from system.
This may cause issues with permissions etc.

It should just be the data that is moved.
When you install updates to MacOS it will probably mess things up, as you will have two versions of the app.

CompuDuh

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 18, 2021
I don't think you should be moving apps to an external drive and deleting from system.
This may cause issues with permissions etc.

It should just be the data that is moved.
When you install updates to MacOS it will probably mess things up, as you will have two versions of the app.
I see your point. The way you described earlier, would that bypass any music going on my Mac’s internal. I don’t want to have to download all my music to my new Mac’s internal and then move it to an external. The main reason is not only time but the fact that every time I download something to my internal I am putting wear on an already tiny 512 drive that cannot be swapped out if it dies. I’m thinking about the overall health of the drive. Also, the fact that my internal won’t hold all my music and media to begin with. Thank again for responding.

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
Disclaimer:
I don't use "Music.app", even on my Sonoma Mac.

Instead, I still use iTunes, installed with the free utility "Retroactive". Works fine.

I don't know anything about how Music.app organizes its files.
Is it similar to the way iTunes did?

If that's the case...

... Why not just copy your home/Music folder to an external drive?
And then, launch Music with the option key held down.

Will that not invoke a dialog asking you to choose WHICH library to open?
In that case, open the library on the external drive, and Music should use that from now on.

MarkC426

macrumors 68040
May 14, 2008
UK
I see your point. The way you described earlier, would that bypass any music going on my Mac’s internal. I don’t want to have to download all my music to my new Mac’s internal and then move it to an external. The main reason is not only time but the fact that every time I download something to my internal I am putting wear on an already tiny 512 drive that cannot be swapped out if it dies. I’m thinking about the overall health of the drive. Also, the fact that my internal won’t hold all my music and media to begin with. Thank again for responding.
Can you elaborate on how your current Music library is setup, i.e. is it all in the cloud or is it local (downloaded) on another Mac?

My scenario may be different to yours.
My entire music collection (CD's/Vinyl/Apple purchases) is downloaded onto my Mac Pro.
I copied this 'Music' folder from Mac Pro to an external drive (connected to Studio).
In the Music app on Studio I pointed to the external location.
Any new purchases will go here (not on your Studio internal drive).

Last edited:

CompuDuh

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 18, 2021
Disclaimer:

Instead, I still use iTunes, installed with the free utility "Retroactive". Works fine.

If that's the case...

In that case, open the library on the external drive, and Music should use that from now on.
This may work , thank you very much !

CompuDuh

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 18, 2021
Can you elaborate on how your current Music library is setup, i.e. is it all in the cloud or is it local (downloaded) on another Mac?

My entire music collection (CD's/Vinyl/Apple purchases) is downloaded onto my Mac Pro.
I copied this 'Music' folder from Mac Pro to an external drive (connected to Studio).
Your idea just might work for me. My current Mac’s Music app is empty at the moment and it is within my Mac’s internal drive . Keeping it empty till I have all and any future downloads going to the external. I do have all of my media backed up for now on a PC as well as a separate large HDD. Thank you again so much for helping, very much appreciated.

CompuDuh

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 18, 2021
Disclaimer:

If that's the case...

I went with your advice before buying my new M2 mini and went with the 512 instead of the 128, glad I did. Thank you for helping with that as well.

CompuDuh

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 18, 2021

So my current new Mac has the location of the Music App as follows ….

/MacintoshHD/User/Andy/Music/
Music/Media

So where in the chain would I type in the new location which would be my external named “Mini Drive”

MarkC426

macrumors 68040
May 14, 2008
UK
So my current new Mac has the location of the Music App as follows ….

/MacintoshHD/User/Andy/Music/
Music/Media

So where in the chain would I type in the new location which would be my external named “Mini Drive”

You say your library is empty....?
Any purchases should be visible.

It may seem confusing as the APPLICATION is called music.app, and the folder where your songs are stored is also called music....🤪

CompuDuh

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 18, 2021

You say your library is empty....?
Any purchases should be visible.

It may seem confusing as the APPLICATION is called music.app, and the folder where your songs are stored is also called music....🤪
My apologies, the library is empty of any downloaded music as I did sign in when I set the back up but I didn’t transfer anything or download any of my old purchases yet till I get this figured out. So far I’m still using my PC with iTunes on it to back up my phone as well as add playlists and movies to my iphone. My current PC has all my songs and movies and I have a back up of my songs and movies on an external as well ( this external is currently just being used by the PC). I have two external drives, one for the PC and one for the new Mac. So I have an external, that’s just for the PC for now. And I have an external that’s just for the new Mac hooked up to it as well. So to clarify I just need to download all of my purchases to my new Mac once I’m able to figure out how to get all of it stored on the external and not on the internal drive. So I have a back up of everything on an external that’s plugged into the PC. I can always unplugged it and plug it into my Mac, and just download all of my content and the music app. Once I have it moved to the external ( that’s is only to be connected to the new Mac ) and have the Mac recognizing I want the actual music and movies to be downloaded and directed to the eternal, then I will download all my music and movies . Just looking for a way to keep ANY music and movies off the internal. I don’t want to download or transfer all my content and then copy it to the external, which I see a lot of people talking about what they do with their Music app. The point is to never have the internal used for any music storage or Photo storage. Thankfully, I got the pictures/photos app to direct all the photos to the external. I was able to find videos and other sites that were able to explain how to do this and it worked. The new music app has not been as cut and dry at least for me. I apologize for everybody having to put up with my complete lack of computer skills in this area. The PC is reaching end of life and that’s why I purchased the new Mac, and also I will never buy a PC again. Thankfully, the one was gifted to me and I didn’t have to buy it..

MarkC426

macrumors 68040
May 14, 2008
UK
When you open the TV or Music apps on your Mac Mini and you are signed in to your Apple ID, all your purchases should show in iCloud (Films/TV/Music).
Much the same way if you have an iPhone/iPad, they are all in iCloud, unless you choose to download.

Can you copy the music folder (not the app) from your PC to the new external Mac drive.
If you then follow the instructions in the link to set the external drive location, everything should be visible.

Also see this

Last edited:

CompuDuh

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 18, 2021
When you open the TV or Music apps on your Mac Mini and you are signed in to your Apple ID, all your purchases should show in iCloud (Films/TV/Music).
Much the same way if you have an iPhone/iPad, they are all in iCloud, unless you choose to download.

Can you copy the music folder (not the app) from your PC to the new external Mac drive.
If you then follow the instructions in the link to set the external drive location, everything should be visible.

Also see this
Yes , I’m signed into my Music/itunes and see my purchases waiting to be redownloaded to my new Mac. I could give you idea a try, thanks again..

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.