Help tried to repair iphone

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by deejeeo, Mar 7, 2014.

1. deejeeo macrumors newbie

I was trying to repair my iphone housing and screen but when I pulled I ended up with this. What happened and how the hell do I remove this metal plate.
    [​IMG]

2. Charadis macrumors 6502a

Could you provide pics of the LCD/screen front, please? It looks like you pulled the glass/lcd straight off the frame. Is the ribbon cable still intact? Nothing else broken? You may need to pry the frame from off the casing.

3. Charadis macrumors 6502a

This is what you should see (attachment) when you successfully remove the display assembly from the casing. Sent from my iPhone 5.

Attached Files:

4. deejeeo thread starter macrumors newbie

5. blueroom macrumors 603

blueroom

Take it to someone that can fix it or ask Apple about an OoW replacement.

6. deejeeo thread starter macrumors newbie

hey did you see the two pictures

7. Charadis, Mar 7, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 7, 2014

Charadis macrumors 6502a

Sry, afk. Thanks for the pics. How extensive of a repair are you planning to do? If you plan to replace the entire assembly, you should be fine once you remove the frame. I would approach this by prying from the edge (plastic bezel) upward from the bottom end. You could probably try going from the home button cavity if you pry carefully. I had difficulty prying the frame and LCD assembly from my repair because there are clips securing the frame in place.

If you plan on salvaging the LCD/Digitizer combo, I would check to see that the LCD still displays and the digitizer still responds to touch across entire screen. The ribbon flex looks a little mangled.

Edit: try to use a plastic pry tool if available. I would recommend to pry from the frame and avoid using anything below the frame for leverage; you could potentially damage components by doing this. The screen ribbon is secured to the MoBo by a metal plate that is anchored down by 3 screws (see my pic). You'll need to have the frame pried like in my photo, then remove the screens and the plate, then use a plastic pry tool to unclip the ribbon connector.

8. iamMacPerson macrumors 68030

iamMacPerson

I would suggest taking it to Apple and getting a OOW replacement.

Or take it to someone who can correct the problem and replace the display. Looks like you dropped it and that could have caused the problem.

9. John T macrumors 68020

John T

Take your phone to an Apple Authorised Service Provider - (not a backstreet repairer!) and get it repaired properly.

Afraid this is an example of what can happen if you don't really know the correct procedures.