Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

haleyvan

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 26, 2006
hey everyone - my brother just got a new macbook and i've been trying to help him set up his school email through mail on osx. i walked him through setting up his username and all that, but when i type in the incoming mail server (which is given on his university's website) it says server can't be found. are we doing something wrong or are there extra more complicated steps i need to take to help him set this up? i remember i had the same problem with my school's account when attempting to set up mail and i had to get my computer engineer friend to help with that and it took a while. my brother and i go to different schools, also so i know it's not a problem with his school's server. can anyone help?

mklos

macrumors 68000
Dec 4, 2002
My house!
Does the server require authentication for incoming and outgoing or just incoming?

Did you check to see if the internet was working through something like Safari just to make sure you're connected to their network?

Also, if you're not on their network (aka not at the college), the email through an email client may not accessible except through webmail.

haleyvan

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 26, 2006
by authentication do you mean does it ask for a username and password? if so, yes. it asks for that and he typed it in.

yes, safari was working.

my school also uses webmail and my mail client works, so this shouldn't be a problem for him. any other suggestions?

huck500

macrumors 6502
May 10, 2004
Southern California
At the school where I teach, our web mail is not accessible through a mail client at all... we were told it's because they don't want all the clients checking for new mail at the same time... and in some webmail systems, you need to enable POP access before it will work, as in gmail.

haleyvan

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 26, 2006
how do you enable pop access? he didn't receive any email saying anything like that. or is it in prefs?

yippy

macrumors 68020
Mar 14, 2004
Chicago, IL
Does it require a secured connection (SSL)? This is the number one configuration issue that users have with accessing their email on my campus.

What school do you go to? If you have us a link to your campus IT department We might be able to figure some of the connection things out for you. Do they not support Macs or have Mac OS mail specific instructions?

haleyvan

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 26, 2006
i'm not sure if it requires an SSL - part of the problem is that he is 5 hrs away from me right now so i can't directly look at his computer and help him. i tried to get him to make sure the mailbox was online and also to check mail preferences, but it wouldn't let him click either of those - i guess because it isn't set up yet.
i go to virginia tech and he is going to mary washington. it gives directions to set up eudora for mac - which i don't have any idea what that is. it just gives the incoming mail server which is pop3.umw.edu - seems simple enough but it always gives the error message saying it can't find the pop server. i'll take a look at his school's tech page though..

haleyvan

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 26, 2006
i just checked his school's website and it says this webmail can only be accessed through the web and not through any other pop3 client like outlook or eudora. i don't know why they continue to give the incoming address for eudora on a separate page, but that really stinks for him. oh well. thanks for all the help and sorry for the multiple posts!!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.