HELP! Troubles after Macfuse & NTFS - 3G

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Vegardwj, Dec 28, 2011.

1. Vegardwj macrumors newbie

I need help after making alot of mess after installing Macfuse and NTFS-3G on my mb pro lion osx 10.7.2.

After installing my spotlight search dosen't work anymore. And instead of helping me to both write and read on ntfs hdd I now cant even read it...

I am kind of a noob when it comes to "advance" software problems.
    I have never used terminal, for example.

I have uninstalled Macfuse by using an app called "appzapper":mad:, since i had problems finding it and uninstalling it in regular ways. But this only removed Macfuse from System Preferences, and didn't solve any of my problems.

And I cant find the "ntfs-3g-2010.10.2-macosx" software...

Please Help!

2. simsaladimbamba

Have you tried this method yet?
    Best way to FULLY DELETE a program

Where do you want to find it?
    On your HDD? If so, try the method outlined above and search for "ntfs-3g".

3. Vegardwj thread starter macrumors newbie

4. simsaladimbamba

Not even via CMD+F?

Have you tried reindexing your HDD?

Do you have access to another Mac with Firewire?

5. Vegardwj thread starter macrumors newbie

I look up the software information of the NTFS-3G:

2.2 Uninstalling NTFS-3G
    NTFS-3G can be easily uninstalled using the Uninstall NTFS-3G... button in the NTFS-3G preference pane, which should be available in System Preferences once you have installed the package. See section 4 for a description of the other features in the preference pane.
    If this should fail for some reason, an uninstall script exists at the following location: /System/Library/Filesystems/ntfs-3g.fs/Support/uninstall-ntfs-3g.sh

But i think this software is made for snow leopard or something, so i can't find it on system preferences or at that location. But after installation i got the message "installation is successful" with a green check sign or something...

6. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

Commercial package Paragon NTFS is suppose to work on Lion.

The one you got is supposedly not supporting Lion yet.

7. Vegardwj thread starter macrumors newbie

No, not even via CMD+F...

And when trying reindexing like the link explained, i get an error message when trying to add folders to the privacy list stating "Error in Privacy list - The object could not be added or removed due to an unknown error"

Ducking great! :(

My sister has a mb pro. But I don't have a firewire cable, but if it can fix my problem i can buy one tomorrow...

8. blueroom macrumors 603

blueroom

In the future can you format that drive as exFAT, it's excellent for Mac - Windows shared drives.

9. Vegardwj thread starter macrumors newbie

Yeah, after some further reading on the web after the onset of my problems, i came to the same conclusion. That this it the cause of my problems. But now that I know that.. How can I fix it??

10. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Installing MacFUSE will not affect Spotlight search capabilities at all. If you're having problems with Spotlight searching, try re-indexing your drive.

Spotlight: How to re-index folders or volumes
    That's because, in most cases, app removal software such as AppZapper doesn't do a thorough job of finding and removing files/folders related to deleted apps. For more information, read this. If you just want to delete the app, drag the .app file to the trash. No other software needed. If you want to completely remove all associated files/folders, no removal apps will do the job.

The most effective method for complete app removal is manual deletion:
    As for your formatting issues:

Format A Hard Drive Using Disk Utility (which is in your /Applications/Utilities folder)

Choose the appropriate format:

FAT32 (File Allocation Table)
    • Read/Write FAT32 from both native Windows and native Mac OS X.
      [*]Maximum file size: 4GB.
    • Maximum volume size: 2TB
    • You can use this format if you share the drive between Mac OS X and Windows computers and have no files larger than 4GB.
    NTFS (Windows NT File System)
    • Read/Write NTFS from native Windows.
    • Read only NTFS from native Mac OS X
      [*]To Read/Write/Format NTFS from Mac OS X, here are some alternatives:
      • For Mac OS X 10.4 or later (32 or 64-bit), install Paragon (approx $20) (Best Choice for Lion)
      • For 32-bit Mac OS X, install NTFS-3G for Mac OS X (free) (does not work in 64-bit mode)
      • For 64-bit Snow Leopard, read this: MacFUSE for 64-bit Snow Leopard
      • Some have reported problems using Tuxera (approx $36).
      • Native NTFS support can be enabled in Snow Leopard and Lion, but is not advisable, due to instability.
    • AirPort Extreme (802.11n) and Time Capsule do not support NTFS
    • Maximum file size: 16 TB
    • Maximum volume size: 256TB
    • You can use this format if you routinely share a drive with multiple Windows systems.
    HFS+ (Hierarchical File System, a.k.a. Mac OS Extended (Journaled) Don't use case-sensitive)
    exFAT (FAT64)
    • Supported in Mac OS X only in 10.6.5 or later.
    • Not all Windows versions support exFAT. See disadvantages.
    • exFAT (Extended File Allocation Table)
    • AirPort Extreme (802.11n) and Time Capsule do not support exFAT
    • Maximum file size: 16 EiB
    • Maximum volume size: 64 ZiB
    • You can use this format if it is supported by all computers with which you intend to share the drive. See "disadvantages" for details.

11. Vegardwj thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the reply, but as i wrote above:

- My spotlight doesn't work, so i can't delete the app by searching for it's location. And therefore i tried to install the app-remover.
    - I get errors when trying to re-indexing my drive that way. Is there another way to do this??

12. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

What kind of errors do you get when re-indexing? Have you tried searching in Finder? What happens when you try?

13. Vegardwj thread starter macrumors newbie

Translated from norwegian:
    "Error in Privacy list
    The object (folder) could not be added or removed due to unknown error."

When searching with spotlight or in finder I don't get any results, even when searching folders and files i know i have on my hardrive...

14. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Have you tried repairing the drive or permissions using Disk Utility?

15. Vegardwj thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes, i tried that. It did find some errors in permissions. But after repair, still no change with my problems..

I am sorry, it may be new after the repair or it may have been there before, but i can search for some software apps. But i cant search for folders or files.

16. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Mac OS X: Disk Utility's Repair Disk Permissions messages that you can safely ignore
    So if you can find some things in a search, but not others, that indicates that Spotlight is not broken. If you try re-indexing again, do you still get an error message?

17. Vegardwj thread starter macrumors newbie

Ahr, yes.. Still the same frustrating error message...
    I have read somewhere that you may change the index through terminal.. But I do not want to destroy my mb further by inserting a self destruction code :p

18. blueroom macrumors 603

blueroom

Backup via Time Machine, reinstall the OS and restore. Then try exFAT unless you're running really old OS's.

19. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Time Machine won't work with exFAT, so if you want to use the external drive for ongoing backups, it needs to remain HFS+.

20. blueroom macrumors 603

blueroom

But once it's restored and working the OP can reformat the drive to exFAT.

21. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

That will only work if they don't intend to continue to use the drive for backups.

22. Vegardwj, Dec 29, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 29, 2011

Vegardwj thread starter macrumors newbie

Ok, so i have to reinstall lion then. And then there should be no chance for those apps to still be with my spotlight and ability to read ntfs hdd?? Is there some folders i surely shouldn't include in the time machine to make sure I don't bring the same files into the reinstalled lion?

Last question, with the newest mb pro, there wasn't any cd/dvd with the lion software. I know that you just press command+R when restarting to start the reinstallation, but is there a limitation on how many times you can reinstall lion, as it was with the CDs.

Thank you so much for your help! =)
    Thank God for pros, what would noobs do without them..

23. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

There was never a limitation on how many times you can reinstall Mac OS X, either with Lion or earlier versions.