Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Suspended
Original poster
Jul 11, 2006
Somewhere
The HD recently died on my 2008 iMac, I'm tempted to replace it, but as it is an old computer I'm concerned that there might be other problems as well. Particularly with the graphics card as before it died I had a second external display plugged in that was having red lines across it which didn't show up when plugged into another computer (it's possible that this problem is only related to the adapter rather than the computer).

I'm wondering if there is a way to test it and make sure that all the other hardware is good before I spend the money on a new HD or SSD for it. I don't have the original disks, but I do have a snow leopard retail disk as well as a Mac Mini that I probably could use in target disk mode to boot from.

Suspended
Original poster
Jul 11, 2006
Somewhere
Using your Mac mini in target disk mode is probably the best way to check on the iMac's hard drive.
I know that the hard drive is gone, what I'm wanting to know is is there any way to test if that is the only thing that has gone or going bad. What I'm getting is that the only way to do it is with the original apple hardware test DVD which I have no clue where it is.

CoastalOR

macrumors 68040
Jan 19, 2015
Oregon, USA
Target disk using the Mac mini will not work if your iMac HD is dead.
You said: "I do have a snow leopard retail disk". I think your iMac shipped with OS 10.5 so 10.6 (Snow Leopard) should work. Have you tried starting you iMac using that? Maybe AHT is available on that disk.

Recommendation for the future: Have an external HD clone system so you get your system up quickly and troubleshoot. You could also use the external HD to operate you iMac, though it would be slower.

Even if you could run some hardware testing software I'm not sure it would be comprehensive enough to cover all of the hardware. Even if it passed, who is to say there would not be failure the next day.

You could get a new HD or SSD, as you mentioned, install, and continue to use your iMac until there might be another hardware failure. Then remove your new drive, install it in another computer or an external enclosure.

pastrychef

macrumors 601
Sep 15, 2006
New York City, NY
Why won't target disk mode work?

1. Boot Mac Mini in to target disk mode.
2. Connect Firewire cable.
3. Hold Option while booting iMac.
4. Choose to boot from the Mac Mini.

Once he's booted, he can diagnose the internal hard drive on the iMac.

Suspended
Original poster
Jul 11, 2006
Somewhere
T
You said: "I do have a snow leopard retail disk". I think your iMac shipped with OS 10.5 so 10.6 (Snow Leopard) should work. Have you tried starting you iMac using that? Maybe AHT is available on that disk.
It does boot from that disc, but I can't seem to find Apple Hardware Test anywhere on it.

CoastalOR

macrumors 68040
Jan 19, 2015
Oregon, USA
The HD recently died on my 2008 iMac, I'm tempted to replace it, but as it is an old computer I'm concerned that there might be other problems as well. Particularly with the graphics card as before it died I had a second external display plugged in that was having red lines across it which didn't show up when plugged into another computer (it's possible that this problem is only related to the adapter rather than the computer).
I'm wondering if there is a way to test it and make sure that all the other hardware is good before I spend the money on a new HD or SSD for it. I don't have the original disks, but I do have a snow leopard retail disk as well as a Mac Mini that I probably could use in target disk mode to boot from.

Why won't target disk mode work?
1. Boot Mac Mini in to target disk mode.
2. Connect Firewire cable.
3. Hold Option while booting iMac.
4. Choose to boot from the Mac Mini.
Once he's booted, he can diagnose the internal hard drive on the iMac.
I said that TDM would not work because the first line of the OPs 1st post indicated that it died which I interpreted it to be unusable. I didn't see any of the OPs subsequent posts indicating that they have been able to use it at all. I think TDM needs to connect to a functioning disk on the iMac, but maybe I misunderstood the OP.

I also think the OP is focused on determining if the iMac has any other hardware problems before going through the expense and trouble of replacing the HD in the iMac. If TDM worked it would only be able to test the current HD, but not test the other iMac hardware.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.