Help troubleshooting Epson scanner please

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by MacFanJeff, Jun 2, 2008.

1. MacFanJeff macrumors regular

I am trying to setup my Epson Perfection 4490 Photo scanner to use with my Mac Pro running Leopard 10.5.3. After going to the Epson website and downloading the correct software "Epson12093.dmg" for it, the software does not work and just reports an error window on startup of the application. It did seem to install OK, but it won't work at all after install. I also tried it under Leopard 10.5.2 so I know it's not the new 10.5.3 that killed it.

I tried contacting their tech support twice now and have waited over 2 weeks and still no reply beyond the typical generic responses. So, any thoughts on this and does anyone have an Epson scanner like mine working OK? If so, what did you do and install for software? Did you install the one on the CD that is outdated then upgrade it or just download right from the Epson web site? At this point the scanner is useless and not working at all since the software won't work for it. I even double checked the web site and the version I quoted above says it is Leopard OS compatible so I don't know what else to do.

Any help on this appreciated.

2. MacFanJeff thread starter macrumors regular

I still have not been able to get the scanner working. Anyone else with an Epson scanner out there using it with 10.5.3?

Also I wanted to say that I checked and the software seems dated 2006 LONG before Leopard came out. It may be that someone just slapped a Leopard tag on it thinking it worked with 10.2+ so why not Leopard? I am still trying to get an answer from them about this too. But I do find it interesting the file I quoted in my original post says 2006 for the date.

3. tdrennan macrumors newbie

I had similar issues with my old Perfection 1200U scanner after I did a clean install and moved to 10.5.3. The issue for me was that the Epson Scan application would open, hang and then quit without providing any feedback. After some googling I found a suggestion that the TWAIN driver does work and after some experimentation determined that doing a capture in Preview actually works. I didn't even know that Preview could do a capture before this but it actually seems to work really well. To do the capture in Preview just select File->Import Image.