A couple of months ago the led on my magsafe started to go dim but it still worked fine, until a couple of days ago. My macbook won't charge or even boot without battery with the magsafe (it still show the same dim light, but never orange just green). I have tried another magsafe and with that the machine both charged and was able to boot without battery. One of my cats likes to bite and pull the cord out from the computer and there are shew marks in the cable. I assumed the wire had been short circuited so i cut out a large part of it and soldered it together again so no part of the cable is damaged. Still no success. I measured the voltage to 6.89V unloaded and 16.74V when connected which indicates that it at least give the right voltage. I have cleaned the connectors and the springs in the connector seems fine (the outer ground pins are a bit further out than the rest though). My battery has been dead for 1.5 year or so - the OS says "service battery" and when fully loaded it holds for like 10 min. It's ok to run without battery anyway but I don't know if this could have affected the charger in any way. Any suggestions on what to do next? The machine is a macbook pro from '08 and I don't feel like buying a new charger for such an old machine.