Help Troubleshooting my MacBook Pro?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Ed91, Oct 3, 2009.

1. Ed91 macrumors 6502

Hey I just want to know if anyone could help me diagnose an issue with my macbook pro (mid 2007 - 2.2 C2D, 4GB RAM) running Snow Leopard.

I was using it a minute ago, and the screen just went blank on me. After closing and opening the lid a few times hoping to bring up the password dialogue, I opted for a hard shutdown.

I got the usual dong on startup, but with no display. I attempted to plug in an external display, but still get nothing. If I shut the lid, the power light does not flash, indicating that it isn't sleeping.

I used target mode and verified the hard disk (a long shot, i know) but it was fine.

I guess what I'm asking is if anyone knows a way to figure out which part is wrong with it. I can't see what I'm doing, and the lack of sleep worries me that it isn't even booting the OS.

I've also tried resetting the SMC and PRAM with no luck. I've had a horrible month. First my Mac Pro's video card, then one of its displays, and now my laptop.. :( *sigh*

Any and all comments are welcome..

2. fehhkk macrumors 6502a

fehhkk

Seems like you might need a new logic board to replace that failed 8600M GT

3. Ed91 thread starter macrumors 6502

Damn, I had no idea about the failure rates of these cards until I just looked it up. I hope it isn't too expensive, I don't have applecare :eek:

4. b01189 macrumors member

Not cheep...

Cost of Logic board and part isn't cheep. Had a buddy replace his i want to say some where around 1100 all said and done with parts and labor.

5. Ptyger macrumors member

Ptyger

I do believe that Apple extended the warranty replacement for boards with the 8600M GT to three years from date of purchase.

http://support.apple.com/kb/TS2377?viewlocale=en_US

So you should be covered, assuming that is the issue you are experiencing.

6. Ed91 thread starter macrumors 6502

A little late, but I just wanted to say thanks to everybody that helped - I probably wouldn't have found out about the extended warranty if it wasn't for you guys.

My laptop ships off to Apple tomorrow..

Thanks!