HElP tryed to restore after redsn0w jailbreak and get some error and now it wont boot

Discussion in 'iPod touch Hacks' started by whitesn0w, Feb 16, 2009.

1. whitesn0w macrumors newbie

HElP tryed to restore after redsn0w jailbreak and get some error and now it wont boot anyideas

it says ipod has malfunctioned

its 2.2.1 fw

2. blackbelt534 macrumors regular

did you restore with the custom firmware or the original firmware? If the first one you will have to use a boothelper to boot up your iPod touch

3. DollarsAndGirls macrumors member

i was in the same boat
    fortunately enough for me, before i jailbroke my IT i did not upgrade to 2.2.1, so after playing around with restoring it a couple times, my itunes upgraded the firmware and my ipt restored with the new firmware, jailbreaking is a pain in the a.s.s, i recommend that you dont do it. i got lucky that this happend the way it did.

good luck

4. whitesn0w thread starter macrumors newbie

its me friends touch which i jailbroke then he some how ****ed it and try to restore but i put it in DFU and restore it with OFW 2.2.1 and it seems to be restoring now
    so ill wait and see

5. whitesn0w thread starter macrumors newbie

6. Pixellated macrumors 65816

If you went to the trouble of tying to get help, save other people making threads by posting how you did it...

7. Shuldden macrumors newbie

Just one way of fixing it - PC, Windows XP / Vista

Ok guys, if iTunes won't restore your iPhone3G/iTouch2G to the original/custom firmware, due to an error while starting, just stick to the following:

INSTRUCTIONS FOR WINDOWS XP/VISTA:

:apple: 1. Set your iPod on DFU mode by holding the Power and Menu buttons (both at the same time) for 10 seconds, (use your watch, or something :p), then release the power button but KEEP HOLDING menu for another 5 seconds.

:apple: 2. Plug your iPod to the PC using the usb cable.

:apple: 3. Use the BootHelper/1ClickBoot application to restart your iPod*
    http://www.ipodtouchfans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=139115&page=22
    Remember to kill "iPod Service" and "Apple Mobile Device Service"

:apple: 4. Run iTunes, select your iPod and SHIFT CLICK on Restore if you want to restore using a CUSTOM FW, or just click on restore for the original 2.2.1fw.

:apple: 5. Sit back and relax as it takes a while (about 5min, for real!!, just chill out and wait...)

:apple: 6. That's prety much it, if you guys have any question just IM me on shuldden AT hot... dot com :rolleyes:
    I'm too lazy to try this out on a MAC, but if you guys know of any application to do the same, please post, thx!! ;)

*Even if your iPod gets stuck on the Apple Logo and doesn't go any further, that's good enought for the iTunes to recognize the iPod and restore it to any firmware we want. Don't worry, there is NO WAY your iPod can get bricked to a point of no return... you can ALWAYS recover it following this steps :D - as long as you have battery on it, LOL :p