help , trying connect to internet via blue tooth

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by chrisbone123, Nov 12, 2007.

1. chrisbone123 macrumors newbie

I'm new to macs and not a computer person so this is only way i figured i can get some help.

this is what it says on the apple website but i cant figure out how to do it, nor what phone i can use for this option.

Built-in Bluetooth
    Connect wirelessly to Bluetooth-enabled peripherals or connect to the Internet via your mobile phone.

http://www.apple.com/macbookpro/wireless.html

any info would be help full.

2. TheStu macrumors 65816

It really does depend not only on the phone, but also the Carrier. Verizon for example does not like their customers to be able to do anything with bluetooth except for headsets. I know this because I have verizon and have been wanting to use really any other feature of bluetooth except the headset.

3. Built macrumors 68020

I agree. A while back, I purchased a cable set, available at a local Fry's store, which would enable me to use my old cell phone as a modem. I did this based on my reading of certain online forums. It was relatively inexpensive.

Before using it, I went online and found numerous tales of individuals using cables such as these, and then being charged MAJOR data charges by their carrier, receiving bills upwards of 1000 dollars in some cases.

This was enough to sour me to the idea, and I returned the cable set.

Their action is precipitated by the fact that these carriers want you to sign up for THEIR wireless service, which would be a separate charge from your phone service.