HELP! Trying to copy .jpg to flashdrive NOT from iphoto

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by qwertyapple, Jul 7, 2012.

1. qwertyapple macrumors newbie

:confused:
    I have been working at this for a long time.

.jpeg files are NOT in iphoto, they were mostly in desktop and I am trying to tidy up and free up memory while saving valuable pics.

I used finder to locate all pics (.jpg). Some of the pics were on desktop, AND iphoto, AND documents. Unnecessary space eaten up by them.

I "selected all", and tried to drag them to the memory stick, as I've done in the past with docs, in groups or individually. They would not move. I tried with individual pics, no problem. In edit tab it said something about "copy 10 items" but I have 9000 -mac has to do better than that! (pics=3 GB,Space available= 2GB, which I want to take full advantage of)

So, I created a blank folder on the desktop, and placed it on the left bar, for easy drag.

All good till then. Highlighted all pics and tried to drag (I believe finder was getting this list from "documents", not desktop). It did not work at first, but it may have taken a long time for mac to actually handle the job. Finally the colorful wheel told me mac was doing something, and voila! all pics were there. I open the folder, it looks like all the pics I had.

Now I try to drag folder to memory stick. I get the circle with bar across (forbidden) sign. Surprised, I go back to folder, this time I notice the location, and it is "trash, folder". Period.

I am going crazy with this, because all I seem to be doing is creating duplicates with each action I take :p Case in point, on top of many of the pics being on iphoto, someone had convinced me a while ago that Picassa was great because it synchronized online (I thought online album, NOT fb, blogs, etc, which I don't want my stuff on!). Anyway, when I opened to just see if I could get an image of the screenshot there, it ALSO copied absolutely every image from the computer. :p I need to get these pics outta here before my mac gives up!

I want to back up ASAP, and either send folder there, or Dropbox, online picassa, or something like that. Can't figure out how to do either.

PLEASE help anyone?

2. Benbikeman macrumors 6502a

Benbikeman

I can't make sense of much of your message, but you appear to be trying to copy 3Gb photos to a 2Gb drive, which obviously isn't going to work.

3. Macman756 macrumors 6502a

Macman756

[​IMG]