Help- Trying to move folder in SAME volume but it's copying - permissions are correct.

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by rawdawg, Oct 6, 2016.

1. rawdawg macrumors 6502

I have a freshly formatted external drive that I cloned some folders to using Carbon Copy Cloner. Now that they're cloned I wanted to reorganize them by placing them in other newly created folders. Except they won't "move" they keep on being "copied". There are 100's of GB.

I've checked and permissions are all "Read & Write" including Admin, (Me), staff, & everyone.

What could I be doing wrong?!

2. satcomer macrumors 603

satcomer

Why do you want to move them? Carbon Cooy means it us an exact copy blessed (blessed means bootable) of your Mac so if you setup a weekly/daily, monthly backup schedule it will only copy "changed" files and additions!

3. rawdawg thread starter macrumors 6502

I used CCC because it was over 250 GB and halfway through a drag and drop I accidentally cancelled it. I didn't want to start all over again so I finished it with CCC. I work in TV and they are footage files I had to move to an external hard drive to deliver to my client.

I had some other issues later in the day where I couldn't delete something. I did a restart and now I'm able to delete that one thing. I already mailed off that drive so I can't check to see if I'm still having issues there. My Mac does hang when I shut down so there's some conflict happening. I tried booting into safe mode to disable log-in items and narrow down the extension that's causing the problem but I don't know how to read the console. I hate it when issues like this pop up and wish when installing updates things like this just fixed themselves. Not sure what to do.